LR2: Updated to 515DL and now axis are off

Hello!

I just updated to 515DL and now my axis are off and I have tried different positions on my Ramps 1.4 board for the motor cables, so I have no idea how they were before the update now… hehe.

• I have the motors wired with one cable for each motor. But I do not have any endstops.
  • I am using Marlin_V1CNC_Ramps_DualLR_2.1.1_515-src.
  • X is my long axis

Is there any trick to this to get it to work?

I am grateful for you help!

This isn’t standard (at least on the LR3, not sure about the LR2), so you may need to go into Marlin Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h
and make some modifications, then compile and upload the new .bin file.

1 Like

Yeah, I do not remember what settings I needed to adjust :smiley:

Okey now I understand what happened.

When updating to 515DL my old custom settings got removed and now I do not know how to adapt to the new 515DL firmware.

Can someone point with their fingers for me so I can make a correct config?

:slight_smile:

The exact syntax varies a bit depending on which version of Marlin you’re using.

I’m not able to search for it right now, but @DougJoseph has a thread about swapping X and Y axis where he posts the exact process for an older version, and I posted late in that thread on how to do it for the most recent version.

Use the search button, or I’ll try to find it and post a link later today

Edit - links added…

2 Likes

This is so great! Thank u so much! Managed to solve my troubles within a couple of minutes with this guide. I did spend the full evening yesterday trying to figure out the correct settings!

Thank you! Hero!

1 Like

Glad you got it sorted.

IMO, this should be a warning though. Doing things in a nomstandard way means that you must undersrand the reasoning and methods of what you are doing different.

I’m also someone who likes to make things easier for my specific use case, so I get the urge to modify things, but the axis swap is one that has always seemed like more of a headache to me than it is worth. For me, it’s a lot easier to just visualize the machine at a different angle. I’m perfectly OK with watching something get cut “sideways” if that’s the normal machine orientation.

I believe that Doug is going to be around for a long time, so he can support his modifications, but doing things the same as intended means a much broader support band.

2 Likes

100% agree!!!

It’s actually a very quick and simple mod, but again, you need to understand the how’s and where’s before attempting it.

I think that if you’re going to start making non-standard modifications, you should be able to “self-support “ it as much as possible. Agreed that a standard build can take advantage of the great community here. I wish Doug a very long and healthy/happy life, but if you’re going to use his modifications on your build, you probably shouldn’t rely on him always being there to support them.

Yes I understand and totally agree.

Having the axis swapped makes the machine feel more logical for my brain. It feels more normal for me.

:smiley:

And yes. Important with self-support. Honestly this is something I rarely change and I have forgotten how and who “created” the mod from the beginning. So every time I go into these territories again I always feel lost because I am not up to date. Again. :sweat_smile:

This is part of it for me, but the main reason is table layout. I want my machine to home to the left side of the long axis because my work area makes standing at the narrow end of the table awkward and challenging.

Well, with the LCD facing off of the YZ plate, I can understand this, sorta. Mine is that way, too, but I have no trouble with doing the CAM as if I’m standing at the short side, putting the material on it the correct way and standing beside the machine with it homed near my right hand side.

To me, that’s normal enough. Sometimes I do stand by the narrow end to be able to hold stuff down without the gantry going back and forth in front of me over tbe work piece, but I’m always by the long side setting up jobs. In 4 years of using V1 machines this has never caused me confusion, even once. It has never caused me a problem with setting up the CAM to have “portrait” orientation. That’s how the machine behaves, reality doesn’t have to agree.

Maybe I find this abstraction easier because my first 3D printer homed far right, and at the time, I didn’t understand the firmware enough to tell jt that was Xmax/Ymax, so everything the printer made was rotated 180° versus what I saw in the slicer, so I got used to ignoring that so long as I got the part I wanted off of the printer. The CNC is the same, as long as I get what I want, you can label the axes A, B and C.

After all, when the finished piece is going to stand upright, the cut X might be Y and cut Y might be Z on the final piece, so what does it matter what the axis labels are in the CAM and the machine?

Yes, I could relabel the axes, and change the home position, but the LR3 comes eith perfectly good homing switch locations and provisions, why hack in ones for a different location? Why mess with a convenient pre-compiled firmware that just works? Sure, I can do it, but I have other things I’d rather to with my hobby time, and if a layer of thought abstraction between axis labels is all that it takes, so be it. That will cost me zero time and labour and save me a lot when it’s upgrade time. Like swapping from the LR2 to the LR3, and now again to a 4. Zero changes, and the projects for which I have existing CAM, load and run. Nothing to re-do, the old CAM will produce the same project as the original machine did. More work saved.