LR2-LR3 The Longest Conversion (AUS)

I am pretty sure you can find a business that is going to cut them for you in Australia. I paid 40 Euro in Germany for the two plates.

Yep, we have businesses that do that - I’m waiting on a quote from the only one that’s shown any interest so far… “waiting on a quote” sounds ominous though.

Mine were 12.50€ per plate plus 19% taxes and 11.50€ shipping. I found it pretty nice of them to cut me only two, can‘t have been very lucrative.

Some things are out of whack price wise here - and anything to do with metal is one of them!

I haven’t bothered to even look at xz plates before.

I’ll be getting a price in the morning - wish me luck, but I need to be reminded why two sized holes for the steppers? I know I’ve seen this question asked before but my eyes were glazed over at the time and I had a smug “well I’ll never need to know that” sort of smile. :sunglasses: A quick search did not reveal a useful answer!

My choices are -

1. Have them made correctly in the first place.
  2. Make them with holes too small and drill them out.
  3. Make them with holes too large and print some bushes to fix.

I’m happiest :smiley:to run with 1) above if someone can enlighten me.

I actually had the conversation about the two holes with the manufacturer as well. The small ones are needed for the screws, the large ones are only needed for thicker plates as counter bore so the screws are long enough.

You can read about the exact values in the documentation.

1 Like

Ahh yes of course - I remember now, I have read that many times!

Many Thanks.

2 Likes

I will revisit the aluminum they are just substantially more right now. I think it was nearly 50% more than steel per plate. And I was getting told I had too many options, kits were hard to make, so to simplify and take away one more option this seemed like a good choice, and lower the overall cost for the end user.

That rust is proving to be a bummer for some.

You know, the printed ones are fantastic. I am not convinced the metal plates add much.

3 Likes

I will re-visit that after I receive the quote this morning! It’s funny, I’m sure that if I read the documents, they’d say:

The only way to get any more rigidity is going to metal.

Which of course is like waving a red flag - of course I want more. No matter whether that rigidity already exceeds the parameters for anything I am ever likely to build. Logic and rational thought are not a factor when one’s brain just wants the biggest and the best for the sake of it.

I did have a mind to polish the aluminium ones, so printing them will mean that’s one more skill I won’t have to learn, although I will have to re-visit my colour scheme. :wink:

Don’t let my voice change your plans re:simplifying your product line, there are times when “less” is more! :thinking: Have you considered using stainless steel @4mm or 3/16" ?

Cheers,

P

2 Likes

I can completely understand you. I build the MPCNC out of stainless steel and I am going to do the same for the LR3. Not needed, I know, but somehow I feel better knowing it can’t and won’t rust. :smiley:

3 Likes

Well I have 20 or so sets here right now and they are starting to surface rust. Not cool. Shoot.

Dip them in vinegar and tell us that it’s a “thing”, or get the next lot out of coreten and it will be.

1 Like

Dude that would awesome

Maybe I do a whole Jawa Sandcrawler theme with a rust paint finish to the PLA.

that could be very cool…

1 Like

You can always order aluminum ones yourself from a service such as sendcutsend and the price is only marginally higher than Ryan’s price was.

Please take a seat.

I have received a quote from a reputable company I contacted yesterday evening. For two aluminium xz plates $137.50 AUD plus delivery. That’s $96US.

For that price I’d rather buy from @vicious1 and know the margin was going to a good cause!

WHOA!

You can get an instant quote at https://sendcutsend.com/

Their prices are quite reasonable. The kicker will be how much the shipping charge is. Check em out!

Many US companies refuse to do business with the rest of the world!

We do not ship to any other countries besides the US and Canada at this time, and we cannot make exceptions.

In the past I have bought stuff from the US, had some friends ship it (from Canada) and still saved buckets on the local price. There was even a company here which set up an address in the US and shipped it from there at a reasonable price. Not sure if that still exists or if I’ll just print 'em.

Wow, they really say that in their website. I’m surprised, and sorry for the challenges you all face on that kind of thing.

1 Like

Trivia Question of the day, and it’s driving me nuts!

What are these two holes used for? Is it time I read the instructions?

I’ve actually searched every LR3 build thread and haven’t found a photo of them in use - are they for poking a screw driver through, or holding a cigarette, or what?? Please help, your answer means everything to me!

1 Like