Lowrider with fixed Z?

I was considering upgrading my LR2 to LR3, and I had an idea the other day… it’s a bit crazy and I don’t know if it’s worth it…

One of the Lowrider’s specificity is that it’s… low… and the lower the strut is, the stiffer the frame is
What if… we made the whole Z assembly rigid? Fixed at a certain height…

How do you plunge and cut then, you ask?
I have this Triton router I use for “classical” woodworking, and it has a mode where the router keeps the plunge depth you set it at, and won’t go back up until you turn the adjustment knob
Also, it has two adjustment knobs: one in the handle, and one for micro-adjustment on top…
And this second knob also has a nice little stub on the other side you can catch on with a pole (for when you mount it under a table… so you don’t need a lift)

Maybe I could hook up a stepper to this micro-adjustment knob? and then I’d have my Z axis, although the whole Z assembly of the lowrider is fixed…
Just like the system you find on a Maslow CNC…

The mod would be kind of a frankenstein between LR3 (riding on a tube on one side, wheels on tbale on the other… using LR3 rollers…) and an LR2 (2 horizontal tubes with the router in-between on a cradle, using 4x LR2 rollers on the cradle)

I started a rough mockup design of the side plates (single side plate, no linear rail, no z motor… added two 25mm holes and clamps pour the X axis tubes…)

I’d like to have your thoughts about it, is that a totally dumb idea or does it have a chance?
Since it will mostly use parts from the LR3, I guess I can try anyway…

2 Likes

By the way, this could also be viewed as a “simplified LR” for laser-only builds
I had a look around, and didn’t find any large scale laser cutter that are easily removable from the table if need be, which the LR3 does…

So, maybe if it’s not a great idea for router, this could get some use for lasers? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have no idea on the use cases but design it, build it and try it?

I would ask a different question: how are you going to do safe travels heights? As is your idea means router will be cutting full depth (or what you set it to ) all the time, even between shapes :mouse_trap:

I don’t see any reason why this wouldn’t work. It is not really a lowrider anymore, since you are dropping the defining characteristic of the gantry raising/lowering.

For a laser that has no mechanical load, you could do something like Rolling Plotter build
or
LowRider-inspired Foam Ripper

For a router that rides on the workpiece like a Maslow, I’m sure there are ways to achieve that. Maybe it could end up like a router sled that is driven in X and Y.

1 Like

The cradle is at a fixed height, but not at zero height, it’s floating above the workpiece (of course you have a limited thickness you can use then)
If the bit is fully retracted in the router, (or at list above the workpiece) you can safely travel between spots

Looks quite a lot like what I have in mind, except the cradle would be a lot lower, and would accomodate either a full size router or a laser

This is essentially what the LR does already while cutting. It does lift the gantry when clearing the workpiece. But it should not have much load in that situation. I doubt it would be much more rigid than the LR to have it fixed at a specific height. And you still have to solve the problem of actuation on the Z. Your idea seems good. Is that router significantly heavier than the makita/dewalt?

Quite a lot yes
And it was one of the motivations for this : using a proper and powerful router rather than a trim router

The mof001 weights 4.8kg (10.5 pounds) but has 1400w (2.5bhp) of power

The question is: What do you need the power for? I can mill hardwood at at least 2000mm/min without significant problems, with 3mm DOC. @stevempotter goes even faster with his. I think the weight will rather slow you down than make it faster.

I question the judgement in that statement. The trim routers at 600W are quite strong for our application. They are already “proper”.

1 Like

You kids crack me up sometimes… :man_white_haired:

2 Likes