LowRider v3 - Pen and Drag knife attachment

Unless someone has already created one, I’m starting on a remix of previous editions of the “Pen and Drag knife attachment for LowRider” (e.g. this one), so I guess this would be like a remix of a remix of a remix.

My plan is to maintain the “spring” effect and also alignment with one of the axes (in this case I think the Y axis). Having an offset of zero in at least one of the XY plane coordinates is appealing to me.

Check back here soon for updates.

UPDATE:

Ok, got it done. Note: Due to X axis space constraints and other factors I could not get a zero offset on either axis, but I was able to make the offsets match each other in both X and Y.

This new pen holder’s offsets for X and Y (offsets from center of router bit to center of pen holder edge — add the radius of your selected tool to the following):

X = 61.25mm
Y = 61.25mm

LowRider 3 CNC - Add On - Pen Holder / Drag Knife Holder - designed for LR3 Dust Shoe

STL Files downloadable here: Printables

Change log:

• July 9, 2022: Updated to v2, primarily because the spring effect was too stiff. Reduced it by cutting the spring area back down to match the previous iterations. This also resulted in making the part print in a shorter time and use less plastic.

8 Likes

Yeah I need a good drag knife mount for my LR3. Sounds like a good project.

1 Like

Ok, got it done.

LowRider 3 CNC - Add On - Pen Holder / Drag Knife Holder - designed for LR3 Dust Shoe

STL Files downloadable here: Printables

See original post for pics.

3 Likes

Awesome!! Thank you

1 Like

Heads up:

Change log:

• July 9, 2022: Updated to v2, primarily because the spring effect was too stiff. Reduced it by cutting the spring area back down to match the previous iterations. This also resulted in making the part print in a shorter time and use less plastic.
  • July 10, 2022: now offering two versions of the “Mount B” part: one with nut capture slots and one without.
  • July 11, 2022: now offering two thickness of the spring leaf: 1.0 mm thick (same as original design) and 0.8 mm thick.

Re. Two choices of spring leaf thickness:

Choose your desired thickness for the spring leaf of the Mount B part that holds the pen or drag knife: There is a 1.0 mm thick option (same as original design) and a 0.8 mm thick option, which should allow a better range of motion (i.e. with less tension), by allowing more distance in the spring’s motion before a pen tears the paper, or before the drag knife slices too deeply into the sign vinyl, or whatever.

Download link stayed the same:

https://www.printables.com/model/225516-lowrider-3-cnc-add-on-pen-holder-drag-knife-holder

2 Likes

Just wanted to add, that the new option I posted for a thinner spring leaf (0.8mm instead of 1.0mm) was the ticket for me. Even after I reduced the width of the spring leaf back to the original dimension, it was still too stiff for what I felt was optimal. At 1.0mm of thickness, the slicer was outputting 3 consecutive lines per layer (per side) to print that leaf. When I lowered it to 0.8mm it outputted two lines per layer. I like the flexibility much better now.

Hey Doug, would you mind adding a slot for the drag knife? They usually have an edge (Drag Knife/Vinyl - V1 Engineering Documentation) that your holder does not accomodate for. See Ryan’s Primo version for example: Mostly Printed CNC -Add On- Drag knife, Vinyl Cutter by Allted - Thingiverse :slight_smile:

I think I can do that. Given the geometry is already in the part you linked it should be doable. I don’t have time right now but will try to remember this.

3 Likes

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Which router mount is this for? I printed Ryan’s dewalt 611 but the Accessory Holder v3.0 MOUNT A.stl does not fit inside the 611 tool mount. Could you share the design file for the Accessory holder so I can make it work with the 611?

1 Like

Three things.

First, it was made for the Makita router mount.

Second, a newer version has been released that is a tool-less quick change accessory holder, which lets the user quickly and easily change between pen, drag knife, laser, etc. The new one is available here: Printables

Third, the design was done in SketchUp, not Fusion, so it’s a mesh type file. Essentially if you insert an STL file from Printables it is about the same as opening the mesh from SketchUp.

Does this help?

Thanks for your reply. I had printed the one you linked. I haven’t used SketchUp. I might try and grind some of the plastic off on this one and make it work.

1 Like

OK, if you don’t succeed, let me know and we’ll see if we can help.

The grinding made it fit, but if you ever have time to modify it for the dewalt mount I would appreciate it.

1 Like

Hey doug printing out the quick release version currently. Thanks for making these!

1 Like