Lowrider v3 in BC, Canada

So, there’s a type of cutting bit that has a rounded shape, it’s called a box cove bit, and if you were to use it, your drawing could literally just be straight lines, and everywhere you told it to cut would be a groove with a rounded bottom. It’s a thought.

As for software, a 2D drawing to make those lines, can be made with either 2D vector illustration software, or 3D that’s being used to only output 2D.

2D vector illustration software is available from many different sources / vendors, including free and open source, to paid but affordable, and all the way to paid and ridiculously expensive. Here are three, one in each of those categories:

1. free and open source: Inkscape
  2. paid but affordable: Affinity Designer 2
  3. paid and ridiculously expensive: Adobe Illustrator

There’s another option that’s about halfway between #2 and #3: CorelDRAW

I have Inkscape, Affinity Designer 2, and CorelDRAW. I also used to have Adobe Illustrator, but I don’t currently.

In the realm of 3D software that can render 2D:

SketchUp has both free and paid versions, and the free version is “in-browser” only. They use to give a free version that could be downloaded and installed on the user’s computer. The last year they offered that was 2017.

Fusion 360 has both free and paid versions. The free version is a “Hobby User” license, and is quite capable, having almost all the features of the paid version.

I have both SketchUp (the 2017 version), and Fusion 360.

I used to have the paid SketchUp Pro version, at a discount because of a school I’m with.

I used to have the free “Hobby User” version of Fusion 360, but I currently have the paid version, but free, because of a school I’m with.

1 Like

It looks really, really great, the aluminium tubing could provide to be a problem though since the bearings are harder and are pretty surely going to destroy the tubing over time. So either think about replacing them or check often whether the bearings are still tight. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great, thanks a lot!

1 Like

Very good point, I’ll keep an eye on them, thanks for reminding me about it. these are 6061T6 not the softest aluminum, the gentry is not that heavy besides most time only half weight is load on the long Y rail, maybe I’ll only replace top rail on the X gentry? But being a slow moving object, it might reduce surface wearing? Once it moves on its own I’ll report back. Cheers

1 Like

First crown done beautifully;)

1 Like

Do have couple questions though,

1. The crown gcode file was downloaded from v1e site, on the file there’s set origin code G92 X0 Y0 Z0, but if I follow the step by step guide using estlcam to generate same file I don’t see G92 X0 Y0 Z0 added, do I have to manually add the code to set my origin every time once I moved to a desired location?

2. On the guide, one of the options to set origin is to use the LCD touchscreen, I have skr pro from v1e, move the tool to wherever I want and “set it to home” but I don’t see that option on my screen other than HOME (x0,y0,z0)

Thanks in advance

Also got a blower, feels more suction compare to my shop vac, hope it will work with the vacuum table I’m gonna build

This build looks really good. Congratulations on the crown!

Found my answer for question #1 at “milling basics” docs.

Someone said vacuum table? :smiley:

Second one:

That was my first one:

1 Like

Started cut my vacuum table, at least 8 to 9 hours to finish these slots, Then found out the pause button on the Touchscreen not working properly…

1 Like

Also made a boom hanger for the vacuum cleaner hose, works pretty well.

1 Like

Vacuum table is done;)

2 Likes

That’s going to need a lot of hp it. :smile:

Table works good so far as I don’t cut small stuff often, so two valves with 4 ports works good for me, none used area is covered with masking paper. You can lift the workpiece but can’t slide once the vacuum pump is turned on;)

2 Likes

And thats a 0.6kw blower (110v) cool. I can rest then with my 3kw blower it should be enough for my table (just waiting the filter and the relief valve kit from china.

3kw will be plenty holding power, I got mine for free;) For intake I used a filter housing from a diesel truck, highly recommend you put on a quiet muffler on these blowers;) also bought a new quiet Dewalt shop vac, I can finally have a normal conversation while the lowrider is doing its thing.

You should use a relief valve with those blowers. The filter kit comes with one btw

Do you have a link for the filter and relief you bought?

Yes sir i do: Link

You should look the one fits your blower in the options