LowRider v3 Floating-Z Dust Shoe and Router Mount (for Dewalt, Makita, Kobalt), for 2.5-inch Vac Hose

I may do the MGN9. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just made an upload of slightly revised parts, and edited the Change Log

Change log:

• August 30, 2023 — made slight improvement to the shoe BODY and shoe LID parts. The angle of the slot at the front was off by 7.422 degrees. This dates back to my earliest remix of the shoe, when I made a 2.5" hose option, based on Ryan’s. His slot was straight inline with the shoe body. In my newness to the LowRider v3, I thought I needed to maintain the same slot angle as his, while I also needed to change the overall angle of my larger shoe design. Now much later, I am convinced there was no need to leave the slot at the same angle, and this realignment should provide ever so slight improvement of inserting and removing the shoe. The change is so minor that there is no need to reprint if you already printed these two parts. I won’t reprint for this alone. The change affected all three variations of the shoe: qtr open, half open, and full open.

• August 24, 2023 — added these missing parts that should have been in the first release. Oops. Now they’re here.
    • “Router Shield v1.0.stl”
    • “Shoe BODY (for Makita, for 2.5-inch Hose) (half open) v1.0-B.stl”
    • “Shoe BODY (for Makita, for 2.5-inch Hose) (full open) v1.0-C.stl”
  • August 23, 2023 — initial release.
1 Like

Nice,

So did you give the the MGN9 as a proof of concept a go?

Not at this time, because Mike Pensinger @probrwr kindly arranged for an MGN12 to be shipped to me in a shorter time frame than my own delayed orders were taking. :+1:

1 Like

Cool!
thanks @probrwr for getting it to him!

2 Likes

I have printed a lot of the parts for this so far. I just assembled the Dust Shoe Mount/MGN12/Linear Rail Mount v1.0-B. Perhaps I assembled something wrong, but with the Shoe BODY on the Shoe Mount, I have lost full range of motion along the linear rail:

The rail mount hits the shoe body as shown. I believe this is with the shoe body from Aug 24. Did I do something wrong here?

Edit: looking top-down, it looks like the tab on the shoe body would hit the linear rail mount on two sides, so range of motion would be limited even if it cleared where it’s currently hitting (as shown in pic 1).

Thanks for the photos and helpful feedback. Will check this out.

OK, I have confirmed that this was a design flaw — you detected a collision that I had missed.

I have now modified both the Linear Rail Mount, and the Shoe Body.

Before I post them, here’s a question. The two wingtip-like tabs on the Shoe Body are apparently aesthetic only at this point (I think). I can either lop one of them down to what I show here (see below) or else just get rid of them entirely. Thoughts?

Here is a screen shot, from same angle, showing how the new Linear Rail Mount has been altered:

Here’s what it would look like without the tabs sticking out.

1 Like

I am in the process of building my first LR3 (This is my first Post :upside_down_face:),
I saw these videos on your YouTube channel, and it looks great, I think it will work a lot better then stock one.
One thought as I was watching the part of the video you were getting the length of the flex hose just right, is to make the upper mount adjustable. Maybe a length of solid pipe with a clamp to hold it to motor mount, that will allow the pipe and flexible hose to be adjusted up and down based on project requirements. This will provide a base position for the flex hose to ride up and down from with wanted ‘spring’ pressure.
I am working on a little different design of boot that is centered in front of motor, with a more streamline shape that I am thinking I want to make if floating like yours now.
Thanks for all the details you add to your posts, I am planning on also building one of your tables soon as the machine is up and running.

1 Like

The design, as modified, with the wing-tip taps gone, has room for insertion and removal as shown. So sorry for not catching the collision prior to this point.

Hello and welcome! Sounds exciting. The only caution I would mention about going straight out the front with a dust shoe design, is to make sure you leave room for access for bit changes. This seems to be the primary reason for Ryan going at an angle on his design, upon which my remixes are based.

That is a great point, I was planning on making it attach with magnets to the bottom of a modified motor mount, so I would just take it off to get full access to the router and bits, but that will change a little with making it a floating design.
I will have to see how to make that work, maybe the whole thing will come off front of the motor mounts.
I am also planning on having the hose suspended from above to keep it out of the way.

1 Like

@aeversme

OK, the new files are now uploaded to the Printables listing.

The description includes this update to the Change Log section:

Change log:

• August 31, 2023 — Thanks and kudos to V1E forum member Alex Eversmeyer (@aeversme) for his early testing and for catching a collision that I had missed, as discussed here. If you previously printed any of the new fixed parts listed below, you will need to reprint them. The new fixed parts, now uploaded, include:
    • Linear Rail Mount v1.0-A.stl
    • Linear Rail Mount v1.0-B (with slide latch).stl
    • Shoe BODY (for Makita, for 2.5-inch Hose) (qtr open) v1.0-A.stl
    • Shoe BODY (for Makita, for 2.5-inch Hose) (half open) v1.0-B.stl
    • Shoe BODY (for Makita, for 2.5-inch Hose) (full open) v1.0-C.stl
1 Like

The two wingtip-like tabs on the Shoe Body are apparently aesthetic only at this point (I think). I can either lop one of them down to what I show here (see below) or else just get rid of them entirely. Thoughts?

I think getting rid of the tabs, along with the linear rail mount change, solves the problem. I’m happy to print those off once I have the STLs and continue testing!

I am also planning on having the hose suspended from above to keep it out of the way.

This is also my plan, probably creating a boom arm to keep the hose from interfering with the operation of the LR3. All part of my plan to make the LR3 as easy to remove from the table as possible.

On a dry fit of the latch just now, I discovered that the inside of the latch at the pivot point makes contact with the linear rail block, interfering with the block’s movement. I am planning on just sanding that part of the latch down for now.

OK. got it.

Please let me tweak either the Linear Rail Mount or the Latch or both…

OK, so I just posted another revised “Linear Rail Mount v1.0-B (with slide latch).stl” to fix this. Once you print the new one, it should fix the rub. You should not have to do any sanding then. The update below has been added to the Change Log section:

Change log:

• August 31, 2023 — Revised the “Linear Rail Mount v1.0-B (with slide latch).stl” part such that the Latch is now positioned 0.75mm away from the MGN12H bearing slide. Thanks and kudos again to V1E forum member Alex Eversmeyer (@aeversme) for his early testing and for catching a rub here.

Awesome, I will probably print the new linear rail mount later this afternoon, once one of the drag chain parts is finished. The new shoe body will get printed tomorrow and I’ll test everything again then.

1 Like

Thank you! Your testing is ahead of mine as I am still waiting on arrival of a linear guide and bearing block.

1 Like