Lowrider Plasma

Like my lowrider CNC router a lot, so decide to build plasma table.

Here’s my old homemade plasma without THC, sold it to make room for the lowrider

Here’s new lowrider gantry, back parts are all done in pet-cf, white are pla+, aluminum tubing. Slightly modified torch holder base on @DougJoseph design and mirrored the float head design of his.

8 Likes

Looking great! Thanks for keeping us posted!

Some progress

3 Likes

so it was a buzz free build?

Yeah, was mainly cutting thicker material without worrying about distortion too much, besides mach3 thc are not cheap…

1 Like

I had to do an Internet search for THC and Plasma to know you were talking about a Torch Height Controller.

Most of the time I hear THC it refers to an certain active ingredient… :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

9 Likes

Wow, looking good!

7 Likes

Anytime I see plasma setups they don’t seem to use the usual control setup of a skr or jackpot. Is that because the plasma cutter interferes with their operation?

3 Likes

Plasma works best with Torch Height Control and the SKR doesn’t have that ability. Not sure if it’s something that could be added for the jackpot or not.

1 Like

When you say height control is that adaptive - ie it keeps the torch a certain distance above the workpiece even it it bows slightly up or down?

1 Like

Yes that is correct

1 Like

My first homemade plasma works great, I used it for 4years without torch height control, anything over 18ga, you don’t need to worry about warpage too much, just pay attention to feed rate and amps, also a water table helps a little bit of heat distortion. If you are cutting metal occasionally, you just need to design a removable torch holder that can be attached to lowrider router core, and not worry about THC, design a table that works both for wood and metal cutting. You can still use SKR I guess.

1 Like

When I upgraded from a mpcnc to lowrider I had at the back of my mind I could mount my cheapo plasma so the mpcnc wouldn’t go to waste… still on the todo list.

1 Like