LowRider Newbie - Laser PWM Question

Alright. Very confused now. I’m getting proper voltage changes, but now the laser is just refusing to fire, same cables, all connections checked, fan is powering on in the laser when connected to the 24 volts, but when sending the M3 commands, even though I see the voltage change, the laser does not come on.

Are you checking the voltage at the board or at the laser end of the cable?

Laser end of the cable.

Unlikely to be the problem, but I suggest you check the continuity of the black wire. I’ve found that multiple wires in a screw terminal can result in one of the wires not making a good connection. Since you can read the voltage change, I don’t think that is the issue, but it wouldn’t hurt to make a quick check.

Doesn’t seem like the issue. I measured across multiple grounds, and a couple points along the cable, consistently getting 0 volts and varying when sending M3 commands. The laser itself is getting the 24 volts on the other two wires, which was easy to confirm with the fan starting right away as soon as it is plugged in.

I’m having a hard time figuring out what to check next because from every measurement and indication from all the troubleshooting (and successful test fire yesterday) it SHOULD be working right now.

Not that there should be any issues, but how would I go about checking the laser driver itself since the SKR seems to be outputting the appropriate voltages?

After trying for another day I’ve come to the conclusion that at this point the laser module has to be having an issue now as even when plugged into PC9 (where it was firing constantly) it is now not firing.

Fortunately I’m still within the return period and as such am working on returning and getting a different laser module, which should be here Sunday. I went with a different brand due to the issues with this one.

1 Like

Alright!!! I know I said it last weekend, but FOR REAL THIS TIME.

IT’S WORKING! M3 Command is powering the laser, safety turns it off, and this laser came with a mount system that works great!

Running a material test here in a moment to see what I get for results.

I appreciate all the help, especially with the weird board issues. Thanks for not giving up!

2 Likes

And just to add a conclusion to the thread. Material test went as such. I think I may have been at engraving height rather than cutting height here based on the results, but I’m quite happy as a first test.

Excited to see where I can take it from here!

1 Like

I’m glad you stuck with it and got it working. Many would have given up considering all the work you had to do to get it working.

1 Like

I knew I’d followed the instructions here and trusted in what I’d read and done to know it had to be something weird and not completely just a me issue.

Today’s test project came out great and is already sitting on my desk.

Now it’s time to start making money with all these new skills and tools!

2 Likes