LowRider-inspired Foam Ripper

74… and my heart does lots of crazy stuff when I just try clipping my toenails…

4 Likes

Yep…

Freaking old folks always cold! Look at that picture! Cap, insulated coat, you’re in Texas! :yum:

1 Like

At the time of that photo (my only selfie BTW), I was living/sitting/soaking in my grandparents old farmhouse in mid-winter… built 1950-ish, in rural East Texas. The 5-room uninsulated pier-and-beam house had a single old Dearborn heater and I never lit it until it got into the 40’s… primarily just to keep things from freezing. Since I lived alone, I really didn’t mind bundling up, covering my bald head, piling on the blankets, and cutting off the water except for brief periods… even when the temperatures got down into the teens, or single digits, on rare occasions. Good times… camping indoors! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Have you ever tried this technique for etching white ceramic tiles with diode laser?

Like this?

These were my first attempts – on a broken piece of tile I found – and they turned out pretty well. @roger181078’s Playing with the laser thread is where we discussed and started messing with the Norton white tile method and this is the video instruction we followed…

If you want to see some really stunning examples of this method, search for all of @bulldog’s work over on the Lightburn forum… it’s all done with a 2.5W Eleksmaker laser and he’s generously shared his “recipes” with each example

I’ve intended , ever since the pandemic thing started, to get to HD or Lowes and get a box of tiles – I’ve got all the other materials – but just haven’t done it. I’m still reluctant to get out by myself… sadly, inexplicably, I get confused and anxious out there, trying to remember all the “socially correct” things I’m supposed to be doing these days; i.e. I don’t know how to “behave” :crazy_face:

– David

2 Likes

I know what you’re going through very disorienting everything has changed so quickly and the consequences so high.

1 Like

Dkj, IMO you should send your kids to get the box of tiles. It’s not something you want to regret in the future. Or you can order things from HD for delivery too.

1 Like

I’ve made a couple of HD orders to be shipped to my home since March. The orders took a long time (several weeks for the last item in the order to arrive)…and it was especially frustrating since the items I wanted were in stock locally. Then HD started curbside pickup for online orders. I just order online from my local store, pull into the pickup area, open the back of the car and everything is loaded inside. No contact and relatively fast. It usually takes 24 to 36 hours for the order to be ready.

2 Likes

Alright! The kids have a couple of things they want to go look at HD today or tomorrow and can pick up what I need while they are there. It’s all in stock at the local HD. Thanks, guys!

2 Likes

You know the reasoning behind this is a very thoughtful and well planned series of how to videos and detailed setup walk throughs. Again

Well, the kids’ did good… brought me a $8 box of 4"x4" ceramic tiles from HD yesterday evening. Seems an incredible bargain to me… about 100 tiles (covers 12.5 sq.ft.) in the box.

This morning I removed four tiles and lightly spray-painted them with flat white paint…

After getting the photo ready, it took about an hour and twenty minutes to actually engrave the image. This was done with a 2.5W Eleksmaker diode laser on my miniFR machine, at 1200 mm/min and 85% power, using Lightburn, “Jarvis” dither, and 300 DPI…

Tile and image BEFORE removing the paint…

AFTER the paint is removed, the image is genuinely fused into the ceramic…

While not perfect, I’m quite pleased with my first full tile engraving. By far, the hardest part for me – knowing virtually nothing about photography – is processing the photo for brightness, contrast, gamma, “pop”/enhance, interval/DPI, etc… and generally getting it ready to be lasered. Lightburn has the tools to do most of this now… and is getting better every day. The rest of the Norton white ceramic tile process is a piece of cake.

– David

5 Likes

I had the exact same one, the board fried and the laser quit, might want to replace the board now before it takes the laser with it. Or I could have had a bad one.

Cheers!

That is what I expected from you thank you kids :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Another unrecognizable face… 1:20 to engrave, same laser and settings…

Image before paint removal…

Tools and materials for paint removal…

A capful of thinner, sit a minute, scrape vigorously with sharp metal scraper, a bit of a mess…

Wiped down with paper towels…

Washed/scrubbed and dried…

Original photo…

Fun stuff!

– David

3 Likes

Do it yourself trivet set gues whats up for Christmas :smiley: (hot pan thingy)

1 Like

Is that photo from the recent Picard series, or from 30 years ago. He never ages.

3 Likes

Don’t know, Jeff. Just Googled “current patrick stewart portrait” and this was the first “large” photo to come up. Yeah, Patrick (he’s a good buddy of mine, I call him “Patrick”…) and I have the same problems with aging… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I showed my engravings to my daughter, of course… and she informed me that on Instagram(?), Patrick Stewart is a “regular”, sharing a Shakespearean “sonnet a day”. Okay… so what. I then saw this interview and somehow, someway, it all makes sense to me. I liked him immensely as Picard… I like him even more now.

– David

1 Like

The new Picard series is very good too. He seems like a fun guy to talk to. Very humble.

1 Like