Lowrider Board Compatability

Hey all, I’m still learning quite a bit about all of this stuff. I use Fusion360 for all of my modeling, so I wanted to use it to set tool paths as well. From what I understand I’ll need a program like Mach4 to get my tool paths to the actual machine. If I were to go with something like Mach4, should I get a different controller board like the Pokeys57CNC? Or will a rambo work?
It’s quite possible I’m thinking about this all wrong. If so, please point me in the right direction.

Take a look at the software workflow.

There is a post processor for marlin for fusion 360 cam. No mach4 needed.

If you did want mach 4, the drivers connect straight to the windows computer. Through a breakout board. Not a rambo though.

Is the post processor for Fusion the one by Martindb or guffy1234?
Also, would it be better to use Marlin or grbl? From a bit of cursory googling it seems that grbl is more focused on milling (I have a Prusa for printing) which is all my lowrider will be doing. If grbl is better for that, can it run on the rambo from the store, or will I have to buy a different board?

Sorry for all the questions, there’s so much information out there it’s hard to sort through sometimes.

Marlin is recommended. The Fusion 360 postprocessor for Marlin is the guffy one.

It is true that grbl is more milling focused but Marlin is easier to start with because there is more experience in the forums and for beginners it is a superset of capabilities. It’s also supported on a lot more boards so its more flexible that way. There is minimal downside to ignoring the print-specific features.

Some advanced features are easier on Marlin and some are easier on grbl. You can make that decision if you ever get there. Most don’t ever need to go there.

1 Like

How does Marlin handle tool changes? From what I’ve done on fusion, I’m going to have multiple tool changes in certain models. I could make every tool-path separate, but that would be a major pain. Having to keep the spindle in the exact same position would also be very difficult to manage while changing tools…

You would add command like movements, pause with messages, and then more movements if you wanted. I think the guffy post processor does a pretty good job of that. You will need an LCD attached (or tft in marlin mode) to resume.

I think fusion is losing the ability to do tool changes in CAM though for hobby users. There is a long thread about it in the fusion section.

Could you link me that discussion about fusion? That would kinda suck to loose features.
I take it I’d have to manually add these commands, or are they already included in the guffy post processor?

Read all the way to the bottom because they backed some of this off. At least allowing export of step files.

I think they are in the guffy PP, but I don’t use fusion.