Lowrider 3 from Norway

So it begins…

Need to reprint a couple of pieces that warped during printing. Bought a new printer for this project but printed a few pieces on my old flashforge finder 2 which I shouldn’t have done.

Plan is to build a large lowrider 3 with a 1220x2440mm work area.

Next in the project is to build a torsion box for the table

11 Likes

Norways first lowrider 3? I might think so! Where in Norway are you based?

3 Likes

Ooooooh first! :laughing: I live at Fannrem, about 50 minutes south-west of Trondheim, close to Orkanger.

3 Likes

Be careful, he’ll try to convert you, and then you’ll be troll-food! :latin_cross: :troll: :clown_face:

Sorry, flashback to Trollhunter:laughing:

4 Likes

I have an automated baptism machine, spraying water and reciting the necessary words to ensure a valid ritual. Just be careful! (I’m looking at you @kvcummins , we DO have airports on the north pole)

@Svanemsli a while back I found another trønder at the forum. I saw his car licence plate in a build pic and asked if he was from northern Trøndelag. Turned out he is a friend of my brother, living in Levanger! The world is really small. We had actually played PUBG earlier, not remembering when meeting up here :smiley: I actually got to visit him even, this summer, when staying at my brothers. Shoutout to @mberg86 , nice to meet you! (And yes, he’s got a really nice shop!)

5 Likes

Lol, the world is indeed very small at times :slightly_smiling_face:

Managed some progress on the project the last couple of days. Now I need to get the table for it finished before I get any further I think. But it’s looking good so far.

I have followed best practice and moved it around while making robot noises, have not found a suitable neighbor to brag to yet, however my better half has gotten her fair share.

4 Likes

It´s a beast!

6 Likes

hello, another Trønder i hear:D

3 Likes

Trønder indeed :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Quite a bit of progress the last couple of days. Finally got the table built and put on it´s legs. Which was a pain.

Mounted the rails, belts and electronics today, moved it about a bit, and encountered some problems with it only wanting to move one of the two Y-axis motors so a bit of fiddling will ensue.

4 Likes

ITS ALIVE!

A rats nest of cables still, but it homes beautifully and should in theory be ready to make its first cut very soon.

Quite exited.

And it’s a very good looking machine :blush:

4 Likes

After some trials an tribulations, I finally managed to get it to take the commands I was sending it and managed to carve a crown. Now on to struts.

I carved with a bit to large endmill, so any artefacts in the carving is my fault. Dust collection worked as well, not flawlessly, but way better than not having any.

6 Likes

High five from USA! Congratulations on the great progress! Looking great! I like the color scheme, which is the same V1E color scheme that I chose for mine as well.

1 Like

You might want to think about putting your lowrider on “rails” and add a spoilboard like @Neilp has done (The 'Black and Blue' LR3 build - #103 by Neilp). Otherwise you might be in a bit of a pickle if you ever have to plane your surface.

what are you using for the dust skirt, and how are you connecting it?

Plan is to just slip a spoil board under there as is, I don´t think it will take away to much cutting height as I will mainly be cutting sheet goods on this cnc, I have a Root4 as well that I use for “taler” things. But I´ll give the rails a look, Always a good idea to get new inputs :slight_smile:

I bought this brush of from amazon and cut it down to size, just attached with super glue to the dust shoe

Brush:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B077GRV2RL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dust shoe and router mount (Makita)
https://www.printables.com/model/167678-makita-700-series-mount-and-removable-dust-shoe-fo

Nice.

I haven’t done this because some of my carves are only 1mm deep and I do t want to possibly deflect the gantry with the stuff bristles

But I’m probably going to print another lower shoe and use a brush for other jobs

Thanks for the link

“Mainly be cutting sheet goods” works right up until you get tempted to engrave an 8/4 walnut board with your wife’s monogram, and everything snowballs from there

Ask me how I know, lol

Or you want to create tiny inlays on earrings. :smiley: