LowRider 3 CNC - control box case for BTT SKR Pro 1.2 board and a BTT TFT35 E3 touchscreen (v1.2)

Will aim to fix that!

There is some confusion, as there is a conversation happening on Printables with @3DMaker_446902 (Printables username) regarding TFT holder version 1.31 (non-E3) but here you are posting regarding an E3 version 1.2, and your attached photos show a non-E3 TFT and holder. So, are you on non-E3 (knob to the side)? Or E3 (knob below)?

I went back and tried to refresh myself on this long thread (here in V1E forum), and realize now there was quite a bit of origin story here behind the non-E3 version. Sorry for confusion. I have created the new non-E3 TFT holder with the window edge moved inward on the knob side by 4mm. Posting any minute now.

1 Like

Hello Doug, thank you for your fast answer!
I’m using the 1.3.1 from Printables for the TFT35 (non E3)

You have linked this file (printable page for non E3) on the first post of this thread & other users like @kockie-nl posted on Jul’22 pictures of the non e3 version (with the 4mm black bar on the right side as well, please take a look at the second picture) I thought this is the right place.

Yes, I had went back and tried to refresh myself on this long thread (here in V1E forum), and realize now there was quite a bit of origin story here behind the non-E3 version. Sorry for confusion.

I have created the new non-E3 TFT holder with the window edge moved inward on the knob side by 4mm. It is now posted.

I also posted a revised reset button to go with the new TFT holder. That’s also now live on the printables listing.

1 Like

Sometime way back, I had posted this in the “original post” (OP) of this thread (note the part I’ve set bold here in the quote):

Note: I have now posted the NON-E3 version of the case and TFT holder in its own listing available here: LowRider 3 CNC - control box case for BTT SKR Pro 1.2 board and a BTT TFT35 (NON-E3) touchscreen (v1.3.1)

For any future feedback re. the NON-E3 version, it should probably be given there as opposed to here. Thanks @kockie-nl again for your collaboration.

I literally just experienced the very confusion I had intended to ward off … LOL

1 Like

Regarding the edits needed to get the alignment better on the SD Card & USB Port openings, I welcome input on the specific distances to move on those.

I am working on a remix to correct these slot opening alignments.

I moved the SD card slot upwards (all sides of it) by 1.468 mm.

On the USB port opening, I moved the bottom up by 2mm, and the top up by 1mm.

Does this sound like a good correction?

I have not yet posted this change. Seeking input on amount of distances.

Thank you!
1.) The “outer” diameter of the reset button fits now!
But the diameter of the knob itself is too big in your fix, the button can’t go through the hole.
I’ve attached you the pictures below. We can even measure it in PrusaSlicer 2.6 Alpha6.

Could you please fix it by “enlarging” the button hole on the case or shrinking the button itself?

2.) I will post some measurement soon for the ports.

3.) The black bar is gone, thank you!

Ugh. Sorry. Will revisit soon. Swamped at the moment.

Here is my feedback regarding the ports:

Your suggested numbers seem to be on point :slight_smile:

1 Like

After both changes (Reset button & ports alignment) I will print it again and give you feedback if everything works as expected

1 Like

I got the TFT holder modified, both to adjust the SD slot and the USB slot, and to enlarge the hole for reset button. It should be up on Printables.

You’ll also notice that not all usb sticks will fit due to the smaller edge of the rectangle. This side should be a bit wider I believe.

Damn, it wasn’t an issue but tempted to reprint, just because :slight_smile:

Thanks Doug.

Good point. I will open that up some more, hopefully help with that.

1 Like

I have made this change. Now on Printables.

@CNCMaker:

Olivier makes a good point. Based on the concept that form follows function, I’ve opened up the USB port some more, on all sides. This is intended to help with use, hopefully allowing a broader range of USB thumb drives to be used,

I printed the version after you made the port alignment changes but before you made the usb port wider.

Now it’s perfect for me, please take a look at the attached pictures.

If somebody would like to be nit-picky the mainboard itself „bends“ a bit inside, but nothing to really care about.

Thank you!

1 Like

Wauw, great work, will give it a try in some days (for me it isn´t urgent, used an older baremetal stick that fits right in. Anyways, thanks for taking care.

I wonder if BTT made some slight design change in some different version of the touchscreen. The issues that some have described lately were not described by others as far as I know. However, maybe the non-E3 version has always been this way.

The easiest work around is to put some washers on the standoffs beneath the PCB to get it slightly further away from the holder so that you’re not pressing the TFT screen against the holder in a way that is bending the PCB. I would strongly urge to not attach it in a way that bends a PCB. PCBs are not intended to be bent, and it can stress them to the point of causing a problem.

Hmm. On second thought I’m thinking that this bending issue may be a result of the window for the screen being closed off by 4 mm. Moving that sidewall in by 4 mm meant that the wedge shaped opening got smaller. It may have previously been wide enough to accommodate the screen without causing the PCB to bend, but now that the window is narrower, it probably means that the standoffs need to be made taller. If you can give me an estimate of how much taller the standoffs need to be, I can tweak the design again. In the meantime, the washers between the standoffs and the PCB is a worthy approach.