LowRider 3 CNC - Add-on - Drag Knife Holder - designed for LR3 Dust Shoe (v2.1)

As previously requested by @Tokoloshe

Note: I’m currently at work on designing a tool-less changer for accessories that will accommodate remixed versions of this new drag knife mount and my previous pen mount, as well as various related laser mounts, etc. More soon on that. In the meantime, as requested…

The drag knife sold by the V1 Engineering shop has a ridge on it, that made use of my previous remix unusable for it. This is a mash up of Ryan’s frontend and my remix’s backend. :slight_smile:

DOWNLOAD: Printables

5 Likes

Doug,

It looks great, but I wonder which surface you would place on the 3d bed? It doesn’t appear that any surface would work without supports.

Mike

The drag knife holder prints as oriented.

If that’s not what you are asking about, I’m not sure I understand the question.

The drag knife holder is oriented just like Ryan’s listing that it has some geometry from. Below are screen shots of both his and mine.

Ryan’s:

My remix:

Doug,

My Bad!! I missed seeing that there were two parts.

One thing about the location of the pen (Forward and right 45 Degrees from the router) is that it then blocks access to the router push-button lock, or even getting a holding wrench on to the router shaft.

Or did I miss something again?

Mike

I’m using the Makita router that is the default for most LowRiders, and with the above design in place, it does not block access to the lock button on the router. Also, I have often used the two-wrenches approach (instead of using button) while having this type of setup installed. I’ve never had an issue either way.

Edit: note that when the bottom part of the dust shoe is slid off, the opening for the button is exposed.

1 Like

Thanks Doug, I’ll look at printing a set Sunday or Monday.

1 Like

Take note that I’ve now made available a LowRider v3 CNC - Tool-less Quick-Change Accessory Holder (v3.0):

Download files are here: Printables

ATTENTION:

UPDATES:

• The new v3.0 remix listed above now includes a NEJE A40640 Laser mount, thanks to help from Brady B’s remix of my earlier work.
  • To the 12 people who downloaded this between its launch and today’s fix of the one part labelled “Accessory Holder v3.0 MOUNT B (Tool Change Slider).stl”: please re-download and if you already printed that part, please reprint it.

In mid-stream on designing the new remix, I realized by making a switch to screw hole locations, I could achieve backwards compatibility with earlier versions of the pen holder. In making those changes, I failed to edit the “Accessory Holder v3.0 MOUNT B (Tool Change Slider).stl” before publishing the design on Printables. That’s the reason it had to be fixed today.

1 Like

Hi @DougJoseph, could you add the STEP files to the printables post? I’d like to remix some holders for my own tools and stl is always clunky

Hey, I understand the need, but I designed these in SketchUp, which based on direct edit of meshes instead of parametric/step based. There are no step files. Importing the STL (which is a mesh) is (“essentially”) the same as editing the SketchUp file.

Don’t know if this helps, but have uploaded .step files for my drag bit/knife/pen holder Printables

1 Like

@azab2c Nice work on yours!

1 Like

Thanks to all, I’ll try and import the stls into freecad when I get the time to get some step files

1 Like

@DougJoseph I’m not really able to edit them to get them to work with my machine, the tolerances are just too loose for me. Is there any chance that you could share the sketchup file so i can try and remove some of the wiggle room?

Ok when I get back to my computer I’ll try to send it

Does this help?

SketchUp Parts - My remix of Pen & Knife Holder.zip (3.1 MB)

I think I got too short of a drag knife. When I mounted mine in the drag knife holes it is slightly shorter than the core so it didn’t work. Is your drag knife longer or did I do something wrong?

Hey sorry for the issue. I don’t have the drag knife so I had no direct way to measure or know how it would work. I can edit the remix to move the notch down. How much is needed? Is your drag knife from Ryan’s store?

I got this one off Amazon. It looks about the same as the one in his store. But it could be different. I’d say I’m 1/2” too high but I need to measure to know for sure.

30 pcs (30/45/60 Degree) AFUNTA… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PF7W5VD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like