LCD not working anymore after firmware upgrade

Hey together!
I have a burly machine since a while, but had some trouble with it skipping steps under load (only the Z axis). To set new current limits, today I decided to re-flash the firmware (to most recent 2.1.1 from the website, from source). Followed steps with PlatformIO, no changes besides current limits. I sadly don’t know which version I had flashed beforehand, but I think it was a marlin 1.x.

Since then, I have some trouble with my LCD: Boots correctly, graphics show correctly, but it seems to recognize inputs and lets the buzzer click roughly once a second. Changes between the menu and info screen at the same time. I cannot use the encoder in any way. LCD is a RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller, which worked like a charm beforehand.

Any ideas what could be wrong here?

Cheers,
Lena

1 Like

It also does not react via USB, tried connecting repetier-host, which did not work.

The reset button on the LCD works. It also says “media init failed” on the info screen.

I’m not allowed to upload a video, I would have shown it in action otherwise.

Since early 2020 we have been using MarlinBuilder releases to configure Marlin and it was 2.0 a while before that, so you probably had 2.0 before.

Do you have a rambo? Ramps?

The videos are too large for this server, so people usually post them to YouTube or something and then post a link.

These are new issues, as far as I know. I don’t think the firmware should have changed in any significant way for the screen or the USB. The USB uart is set to 250k.

My only thought here is that you have some strange hardware and you were running very different firmware the first time. Otherwise, maybe something broke it got shocked while handling it during the upgrade? But those both seem like very rare things.

Hopefully we can figure this out and then he’ll figure out the Z axis.

1 Like

Hey Jeff!
I totally forgot to say - it’s a Mini-Rambo 1.3a. Maybe I got a clone which differs in some detail?

Probably I had a Marlin 2.0 beforehand then :slight_smile:. I am not allowed to include links in my posts somehow, so trying it this way: Mini-Rambo 1.3a with MPCNC firmware: LCD problems - YouTube - the clicking you can see/hear at the end just repeats, and I pressed the reset button just half a second before the video started recording.

I’ll try to fiddle with it again now, maybe I got USB settings wrong or something like that for the UART.

Cheers,
Lena

1 Like

Hmmm. The way the buttons work, there is a separate wire that just represents the button click. That separate wire is read by Marlin and then marlin handles all the logic to make the beep, and change all the graphics on the screen. As far as I know, none of that code has changed much in a really long time. I can’t think of any settings specifically for the encoder click that we have changed either. The signal for the beep, and all the graphics wires are on different lines.

So my best guess is that something is shorting to the wire for the button click. But maybe one of the other experts will pop in with some idea about the click. Maybe something on the lcd is loose. Or maybe the cables got swapped and one of them has a problem.

Do you remember getting the firmware the first time? Did you make any edits to make it work? If there was anything hardware specific, you have had to do it then.

Were you regularly using usb before? If you have been using that, and you were using 115200, that is a good sign the firmware wasn’t from Ryan. His firmware has used 250k as long as I can remember.

No, I almost never used USB, almost entirely the LCD and SD card. The CNC is in a place where it’s very cumbersome to put a computer.

I remember I did some changes, but I think it was only about homing and adding something for the probe I’m using (setting home to 2cm instead of 0). But I reinstalled the computer some time since I flashed, and can’t find the old sources sadly. It was not much that I changed, pretty sure about that.

I flashed a new version with the LCD disabled, and it also does not work properly (no response via USB, although I can flash it easily), so I think there must be something else that is wrong, too.

I flashed an older 2.0.7 version, and that one works. Will continue to bisect and tell about the last version that worked.

Okay, so 2.0.9.2 (513S) works, 2.1.1 (515) does not. Of course I don’t have a clue why.

Regarding the Z axis skipping I also am a few steps further: Increasing the milliamps definitely helps a lot. Interesting though: It skips when moving up, but I can’t hardly make it skip when moving down or when it does not move at all. It seems as if after moving, there is a time frame of about 300ms where I can move the axis manually by hand. This really is weird.
But I guess that is another topic, so in case I need help over there, I’ll open another topic.

Should I open a bug report in some way for the LCD issue? For me, it’s good enough to stay with this version 513S I think.

All the best!
Lena

1 Like

Awesome! Glad to hear it wasn’t your hardware.

@vicious1, Have you tried the mini rambo with 515S?

513 was used for many months and 515 is relatively new (a month?). I am still surprised this is the symptoms, but Ryan hasn’t been selling new mini rambos anymore, so it wouldn’t be totally shocking that you were the first to find it. It is still pretty surprising.

I have a Mini here I will flash and test. I had not done so since nothing really changed in the configs. Super weird.

As for the Z axis. In order of frequency on hardware purchased from the shop.

Trying to move too fast. Everything should be perfect at 15mm/s if you are having issues there it is hardware related.

Hardware would be misalignment or dirty screws.

Last would be bad connections or weird hardware not bought from here.

Definitely broken. The pinouts had to change or something

This is the only thing out of the ordinary, That is the LCD stuff. Any ideas heffe? I did test it with the full sized rambo, and the LCD was fine. I should check again to see if this is the cause or not.

Double checked and the one that is installed is the marlin version.

U8glib only handles the screen updates, which all looked fine in the video.

The problem seems more like it is in the button logic, which is more basic pin stuff.

Ryan, does yours have trouble connecting via usb? What about if you disconnect the screen, does it still have trouble with the usb?

The next steps should probably be one of:

• Try the “vanilla” Marlin 2.1 build with the screen enabled and none of our other updates.
  • report to Marlin, and maybe ultimachine too.
  • Do a diff of the 513 and 515 versions and look for stuff specifically affecting those gpio, or the mini rambo

Marlin has fixed that one already, Specify MarlinFirmware/U8glib by thisiskeithb · Pull Request #24792 · MarlinFirmware/Marlin · GitHub

But the nightly bugfix still has the problem.

Double checking the pinout from 513 to the bugfix real quick. They are the same, no changes that I see.

Look into your suggestions now.

On my end it is fine, it is just acting like I am holding down the button. Keeps clicking betwean screens.

I can connect over USB fine and move the steppers.

Next up a fresh marlin

I also have trouble connecting via USB in 513, so maybe it’s another issue for me. But it’s not too important for me, as long as the SD card works (which it does now).

I did not buy the rambo mini from you, mostly because of the shipping cost (I’m living in germany). Maybe I have some kind of clone as well, I’m not sure.

Okay I tried the bugfix without our custom delays…same issue. Tried plain Marlin 2.1.1 and it works perfect. So good news is it is something we can easily fix, bad news I have no idea what the heck it could be.

1 Like