Kobalt router

So, are you saying we should wait 6 days to buy one? :grin:

When are you going to be able to share the backstory?

In 6 days. Or 5 now. The NDA lifts the curtain then, I think. The stores are ahead of schedule in some places putting up the displays. But hey, this isn’t a new Harry Potter book.

1 Like

What is the difference between an ER11 collet and whatever comes with the Makita? Looks like the ER11 has more reliefs so its more pinchy?

1 Like

https://amzn.to/3s6fOZ6 any size you want, very inexpensive, extremely standard.

2 Likes

My Lowe’s doesn’t even have that model in stock. :sleepy:

Until all this I had not paid attention to what ER11 is. It’s a standardized approach, and both collets and bits abound, that conform to this approach, so they are cheap and readily available.

When I first bought a Makita 700 series router for use on my LowRider v2, I then also had to buy a separate, expensive collet — specially made to fit it — if I wanted to be able to use both 1/8" and 1/4" bits. I shelled out the $$. Because the Makita does not conform to or accept the standardized approach.

Not only does the Kobalt unit come out of the box with two collet sets to support both 1/8" and 1/4" bits, but it conforms to the standardized approach, so you can also buy affordable 15-piece sets like this one I bought on Amazon (just for use with my Kobalt on my LowRider v3):

15pcs ER11 Spring Collet Set for CNC

15pcs ER11 Spring Collet Set for CNC

And now I can buy and use affordable bits in a whole range of diameters.

2 Likes

Thank you both.

This is probably why the cheap amazon multi pack “1/8” " bits would fall out of the 1/8" collet from the V1 store (happened once, but that was enough). They probably weren’t really the right size.

Yup 3.175mm is not 3mm. It happens.

great, now I am singing that!!! Thanks Jeff!

2 Likes

Wait, I read er11-a, is er11 and er11-a the same??

well crap, just researched, it is just the nut that is different, well threads and nut.

Fully er11-a compatible. That is the more common standard.

https://amzn.to/496SWth

1 Like

Just keep prying info out…

3 Likes

Well, I just went to my Lowe’s over lunch to check them out. The website said they had 10 but I couldn’t find them anywhere. They must be in inventory somewhere. I didn’t have time to track down an employee so I’ll have to go back on the weekend. :grin:

Exciting!

The stores near me both have a special…Holiday section with a bunch of small Kobalt pallets, not near the regular tools (both here took the place of the halloween stuff). I was also told it seems that California is rolling it out earlier than expected.

1 Like

Every store near me says it has 4 in stock. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Same in southern California

1 Like

Next is Lowes private label CNC kit for nationwide distribution!

My Lowe’s still says none in stock yet. But I’m a long way from California lol

Damn, and I just got a Carbide3D Makita clone… >:(