Just for fun in Fusion 360 - Cyclone Dust Separator

In my down time, I’ve been playing with printability - pushing limits, but I like to keep my risky downsides to tiny amounts of filament wasted.

I’ve discovered the joy of building in break-away parts instead of supports, and have been pushing organic support to ridiculous extremes.

Here’s an RV window catch replacement that shouldn’t have printed as well as it did -

And a camera housing that failed, but look carefully at the base and please explain how it printed at all!

1 Like

Ah, the magic of a Prusa.

Hmmm… I was going to talk about little invisible Atlas holding it up but that is probably more rational! :smiley:

I actually don’t quite understand what happened here!

I’m more surprised that the bottom part, before the smaller organic support, didn’t somehow get attached to that support. From the photos with my bad eyes, and the angle of the photo, it almost looks like the lower portion of the part, is deformed but attached where it was supposed to be. I understand why everything above that support worked. Looks like the raft was fine, and didn’t detach from the plate. Almost like the part at the lowest end, somehow detached from the supports after the raft. Assuming the first layer of the part, wasn’t on the plate itself.

That’s kind of what happened - I think it all just held until it got to the support and then warped away for whatever reason. Wild…

Wow. That looks identical to mine: Dust collector chip seperator

IDK if we read the same guide or what. There is a guy in Denver that buys and sells these barrels for cheap. Mine used to contain dried milk or something.

It works great. I don’t notice anything outside.

I do stagger the starting of the DC and the table saw. This is a big motor. But it is quieter than the saw when cutting.

Yeah I lost the actual reference. I made it years ago.

I have mine on a separate circuit now. The planer and dust collector can pop a 20amp circuit sometimes.

1 Like

Just looked at your thread more and wow. We even took the same pictures haha

1 Like

I had decided not to try to print this, and was moving in favor of a Thein baffle, but then I remembered that I had been given some gift cards to Lowe’s, and I was able to buy the larger Super Dust Deputy 4/5, without being out any money. So I have pulled the trigger on that.

I didn’t take enough pictures. The center part is the same part that comes with the dust collector that would have the dust bag on the bottom, and the filter on top. I added the thein baffle to the bottom of the center part. That kept the full volume of the barrel for chips, and in my case, bat poop.

I’m more intereste in how it failed. It looks like the supports on the far side were down correctly and the first few layers printed. What happened to cause that end to not print while all the rest of the structures printed OK. This looks ike a slicer fialure/bug to me.

No, it was an operator failure - the first layer is one layer wide and then upwards at 45° from there. It didn’t look as though it should print at all the way I sliced it - I am away from home for a few days - if I remember I’ll reslice it and explain.

Guys, I am about to set mine up, and I need a little help on a question about axial load on the blower motor for the HF dust collector.

I saw a YouTube video that mentioned that changing the orientation of the blower motor from horizontal to vertical (as you all did) adds an axial load other than how the manufacturer intended, and could cause the motor bearings to wear out sooner.

I noticed many guys changing the blower motor to vertical, as all three of you all did:

So, is switching to vertical no problem and the video mentioning that was just being way too overly cautious?

1 Like

Mine has been vertical since the day I bought it ~4 years ago. No issues

2 Likes

Thanks!

No problems from mine. But I don’t use it much. Only when I have time in the shop.

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks!

Are you using this on a primo or LR? I read somewhere that these systems don’t work as well when the hose size is reduced and shop vacs may be a better option. I am worried about running a shop vac for a long CNC job, and I also hate the noise.

I am running mine with 4 inch PVC pipe overhead, and then for the last few feet from the pipe down to the LowRider, I have a 2 1/2 inch shop vac hose that is coupled onto the 4 inch port. I seem to be getting good service from it, and, if I’m doing any damage to the motor I am not aware of it at this time. I suppose that someone could argue that I’m shortening the life of the blower motor. However, it sounds fine to me when it is running.

If the concern is back pressure / cavitation, cracking another blast gate, either on the default splitter, or another trunk can relieve “starving” the impeller/ system of air flow.

Obviously it will need to be adjusted, open a second line somewhere too much and not enough air movement will take place at the desired location.

Just a thought

1 Like