Joe's LR3 Plasma Build Log

Hi Everyone! This is the 1st entry of my LR3 build log. I have been reading through some great logs from others and looking forward to getting started and learning a lot.

Here is the table that I plan on using. I built it about 10 years ago, but never got past routing with my old CNC:

I am hoping to find more time to work on this one as we are empty nesters now. I am going to print the parts with my Ender 5+, and am currently working up an order for parts which I plan on posting when complete.

I noticed that they are out of the SKRs and RAMbos. Any recommendations on other sources and/or options?
Thanks,
Joe

8 Likes

Welcome.

China comes back from holiday in two days and my next order of SKR’s should ship priority air shortly after. If you don’t want to wait, you can grab them on amazon or what ever is local to you.
Amazon, https://amzn.to/3XJNNB3, https://amzn.to/3wEezPA, https://amzn.to/40fazm3

4 Likes

Hi Ryan, Nice to meet you! Thanks for the information, I will wait to place my order. I have lots of learning and prep to do, so no rush.
Joe

2 Likes

I am making good progress on my printed parts, so I am going to place an initial order:

|Qty|Part|
|1|LowRider v3 Hardware kit|
|1|LowRider CNC V3 YZ plates|
|1|Tiny Touch Plate Kit|
|1|Emergency Stop Button|
|6|Limit Switch, EndStop|
|6|EndStop Plug|
|1|LowRider v3 Metal XZ Plates|
|4|Super Lube® Silicone Lubricating Grease with Syncolon® (PTFE)|

I plan on ordering the controller when they are back in stock.

2 Likes

I have been reading through the following (excellent) build logs trying to get a high level picture of what I will need (much more complicated than I imagined):

Doug - LowRider 3 - Plasma Build "On a Budget" - Clarksburg, WV
Kyle - V1 Engineering Forum - V1 Engineering Forums
Bryan - SOMD - Lowrider Plasma CNC

There is a lot there to absorb. I will try to post a summary plan for review and feedback if anyone is interested in helping out.
Thanks,
Joe

2 Likes

There really is a lot.

A basic plasma cutter for non sheet material is easy, slp it on a sheilded standard LR3 build. As soon as you add a torch height controller, it steps everything up substantially. I have built one as well but it is beyond the standard scope here so I did not document it fully. The largest hurdle seems to be linux CNC and THC for most.

1 Like

Thanks Ryan, I may ask you some questions from time to time if you don’t mind. Looking forward to getting started!

1 Like

I must admit it has been the most ambitious project I have built yet. However I am super glad I did.

There is a considerable learning curve, as Ryan mentioned, as soon as you start heading into the excellent control option that LinuxCNC offers, and the auto torch height control.

I’m particularly impressed with the latest LinuxCNC graphical user interface for plasma cutting known as QTPlasmaC. I’m phenomenally impressed with the world-class cut recovery options. From what I can tell there is no other software or user interface that provides the level of cut recovery options that it has!

1 Like

I have been super impressed by the work that you did @DougJoseph! I hope that you don’t mind answering some questions as I progress? I am planning on starting with a basic build and then adding on the plasma changes that you worked out.

1 Like

Happy to help. I asked a lot of questions to @kd2018 and @vicious1 (and some others) and got tons of help! I learned so much.

1 Like

Hey, just a heads up: the video below has a lot of helpful info I wish I had known a teensey bit sooner in my curve!

World Globe Wall Art, 18ga Steel - made with LowRider 3 CNC Plasma rig

There is a “making of” video for this piece, that goes into detail on LinuxCNC for plasma — how to do probing, some tips on framing, and how to use the impressive cut recovery options in LinuxCNC.

LowRider 3 CNC DIY Plasma - LinuxCNC: Probing, Framing, & Cut Recovery!