JJ's V5 Build

I still need to do some fine tuning but I think its printing really well. I’m running 12k accelerations and 200mm/s infill and its running just fine. I think on some finer details I’m printing too hot but for 98% of my “functional” printing its doing amazing. Will take some pics and throw up in a little while for everyone to judge LOL

Do the flipping belts slap against ptfe spacer at all, or at the same time?

How do you track down vibration source(s) without access to slow mo guys’ cameras?

Mine are smooth sailing.

Run the accelerometer test, find the odd peaks, run the shake tool and touch or listen to parts until you figure out what is moving.

Same

Yep. That test tool is a wonderful thing!

2 Likes

Got the rest of my panels finished and installed. Man does it make the printer quieter with the panels on lol

Also printed and installed a “Bento Box” for some filtration with the upcoming ABS printing

https://www.printables.com/model/601990-bento-box-filter-with-hepa-carbon-4010-or-4020-fan

4 Likes

Pics of the bento box

With tpu gasket

Still waiting for the activated carbon to get here

3 Likes

It’s not much use unless you move air through it… what’s your airflow plan?

2 4010 fans below it pulling through. So far with just the hepa filter its moving decent air. there is room for 4015 4020 fans if need be.

4 Likes

I’m still waiting on the carbon to get here. Looks like Friday before I get it. Running some ASA prints now with it fully enclosed. The top gets up to temp nicely but the bottom is still staying cool. I ordered the 4020 fans for the bento box. The 4010s just don’t move much air at all and that’s with the carbon area wide open. Can only imagine how much less air it will move with the carbon in there.

That’s one sexy printer. Wow.

1 Like

Thanks! The V4 rebuild to V5 should be even better. It’s getting powder coated aluminum parts

1 Like

Just fantastic!

1 Like

Just took the box apart to add the carbon in it. I cant believe how much stuff is already in that hepa filter. I probably should have went ahead and changed it lol. I will before the next print and post some pics. It was NOT white anymore LOL.

1 Like

I print in our spare bedroom mostly. The PLA fumes are not noticeable when the ceiling fan is on dispersing it, but I get a vaguely sore throat and sinus tingle when that room is occupied and I print beside my desk.

Therefore, I’ve investigated charcoal filters (with a HEPA prefilter) and they are pretty easy to build - what no one will give a definitive answer on though, is what the expected service life is. I suspect the small amounts of charcoal used in these sorts of low volume filters would need replacing often - maybe even weekly, so I haven’t gone further, but it’s on my “definitely must do one day” list.

This Bento Box I printed has a hepa filter and activated carbon in it so we will see how long it last. I think I’m going to change the hepa filter out after this ASA print is done before I switch over to ABS for the ERCF build.

That’s the sort of thing I was referring to - my problem is not so much with the cost of renewing the charcoal but knowing when to do so.

Would one of those cheapish air quality monitors do the trick?

It works well enough in my shed for measuring airborne dust - not sure what compounds it’s trying to detect?

1 Like

That feature list is pretty remarkable for the price. That wouldn’t even cover the wholesale pricing on the Sensirion particulate sensor I used in my DIY one…

I see there’s a Tuya based WiFi one, too… Iiiinteresting…

1 Like

Rats. Went looking for some information on them and it looks like there’s some sketchyness going on inside, so probably not actually measuring all that much in reality, sadly.:

The ikea monitors are a common thing to hack. I have seen some people installing esp32s inside to run esphome on them.

I have a couple of honeywell pm2.5 sensors. They have a little fan that blows at a constant rate across a gap. Inside the gap they have a laser diode and a phototransistor to measure the dip in intensity from PM4.0 particles. They then use some formula to guess pm1.0, pm2.5, and pm10.0. it is a good representation of dust and VOCs though. It can tell when we are cooking (especially bacon).

Yeah, my DIY one in my office is using the commonly used Sensirion SEN55 particulate sensor and SCD30 CO2/VOC sensor. It seems to generate meaningfully different but repeatable readings depending on whether I’m in the room and what I"m doing. Just being in there pushes CO2 up at a fairly constant rate to roughly the same value. Particulates go up any time I go in there and then settle slowly. VOCs also go up if I’m in there doing any assembly/testing work.

I think the particulate sensor is doing at least some level of inference for the different particulate sizes. From briefly looking at it, there’s nothing obvious like a linear correlation between the two, but I’ve also not spent any time trying to actually test it.

No Ikea here in NZ, unfortunately. There are a bunch of places parallel importing stuff from Ikea China but often it’s a pretty limited range. No motorized roller blinds, for instance, which is irritating.