Issue with my crown test

I have finally gotten the machine up and running and it homes and moves with no issues when I move it using the lcd screen or repetier host. So here is my issue.

I have setup estlcam and repetier host per the instructions on v1 engineering documentation. I pulled in the dxf file into estlcam and resize it and select engraving and select all the lines per the instructions and save the document. When I pull it into repetier host it looks like this

I hit print and it starts off doing the circle in the crown and it slightly messes up due to my pen holder then starts another portion of the crown and that goes well and then that is where it goes wrong. The motors sound like they are starting to stress and it goes all wrong and I get stuff like the following pics before I stop it.

Does anybody know what is going on and where I went wrong?

Repetier host’s preview is bjorked.

You should first see if you can get it working with the known good test crown gcode. Running this known good gcode will let us know if the problem is with your machine, or with your process of generating the gcode. The direct link to the file is here This may open up as a bunch of text in your browser. Right click the file and select “save as” to save it as a type .gcode file, and try running that. (I think the preview in Repetier will work with Ryan’s known good file, since it has the arcs disabled, but ignore the preview anyway, it’s got problems since a few versions ago.)

1 Like

Ok so I used the known good Goode file and the preview was not showing all those extra lines and I got this.

I did notice that there were a number of missing or extra options on my version of estlcam compared to the setup instructions version but I just figured new version. I have gone through the setup instructions for estlcam 3 times and continue to get the same results so I’m not sure what I’m doing incorrectly when setting it up or generating the Gcode.

1 Like

Post the first few dozen lines of your gcode. It is probably something like not having the feedrates defined on rapid Z moves, or something similar.

Sorry for the photo instead of actual text. If need be I will send actual text. I’m logged into the forum with my phone and not on my pc.

1 Like

I’m including screenshots of my basic settings as well a few others to see if anybody can spot any issues.

These are the steps I take

1. File>Open> and select the crown dxf file
  2. resize it to 250% per the setup instructions
  3. Select engraving - center along shape - auto shape generation
  4. select all the parts of the crown
  5. then save file>save cnc program
  6. pick 1mm for my depth of cut
  7. open up repetier host and open up the file I just saved.

Those settings look right. I am betting this has something to do with arcs (and repetier host preview is definitely bad on arcs).

You can try disabling “Use arc commands G02 / G03” and see if the problem persists. If it is better then we can dig into more details of the firmware maybe or if there is something unusual about your setup. Arcs are supposed to work. Or you can just run without arcs. It’s not a huge difference.

3 Likes

I disabled arcs and it is no longer showing all those messed up lines. My Rambo board was flashed like 3 years ago so it is probably way out of date at this point. I have never actually flashed a Baird until recently so not 100% what I need to do to flash it or if I even need to flash it. I’m guessing I can find the version number some place on the lcd screen under properties or something and compare with the most recent build in V1

Ok so I turned off arcs and it showed up correctly on repetier host without all the extra circle lines. I also flashed the board with the most recent version of the firmware. I was able to get it print a crown that I saved in estlcam and was even able then turn arcs back on (still a bunch of random circles) and it printed with no issues other than me getting the initial starting height wrong 3 times. But it was able to repeat the same design over and over on top of itself. Thanks for the assistance.

2 Likes

Oh, that makes sense. We used to have trouble with arcs. Good idea, Jamie. Newer firmware will work, even though RH had gone bonkers with arcs.

1 Like

Now if Vcarve or one of the other CAD softwares would put in a marlin post processor and give some other options I would be all set.

1 Like

There is a vertic post available here i will see if i can find it again it works in vcare pro it linked at the bottom of the milling basics page

1 Like

Tim thank you for the link. Any idea where the marlin post processor file is located by chance. The link seems to indicate where to put it but no where to find it. If this works you will be my hero.

1 Like

Tim,

Thank you so much. I was able to find the post processor for marlin and install it in vetric and get my machine to produce (with an air cut) one of their practice files. It didn’t seem to have any issues and it resolves like 95% of my problems. Thanks again.