Improved dust shoe

I added holders for bristles into the dust shoe. It is not completely covered because I didn’t want the dust shoe to be lower than the original one, but at least it covers ~75%. I also did not try it yet. Will upload as soon as printables loads again. :smiley:

Made a new version with holes for 5x4mm magnets (need to print the other bracket) and a very slim slit for a piece of flexible PVC. Don’t tell my wife where it’s from. :smile:

4 Likes

Looks cool!

1 Like

Great stuff! Wanted to do the same but avoided the effort and just hot-glued the bristles around the dust shoe. Haven’t tested them either …

I guess your bristles come from Amazon as well? They are quite stiff, too long and hence need to be trimmed. How did you manage to cut them down so evenly?

I haven’t cut them down yet… :smiley: That’s the trick, have to do it tomorrow. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oops, well, good luck then. This is my ugly dust shoe, not a masterpiece, I admit:

It covers nearly 100% but I guess the bristles are just too stiff and will resist if the gantry moves down. Again, remains to be seen, haven‘t tested yet and am curious how your test goes.

1 Like

I use these to cut brushes…

1 Like

Thanks, Kev, that’s a robust tool!

I’ll wait and see where Philipp is getting to. If his design works well, I might go with the following:

Bristles

These worked well on my previous CNC, and they are flexible enough to follow the router’s motion.

The trick to cut it nicely is before to glue it to pinch it between 2 boards at the wanted length then to use an electric beard shaver to cut what exceeds, perfect and quick cut.

Updated the first post. Now I am pretty sure it is improved. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

On printables? Didn’t find on your profile https://www.printables.com/social/83076-philipp/models

Ah damn, you are right, I never got around uploading them. Will do so in the next hours. Sorry.

Someone, thought it was you, but I could be wrong (?), put small magnets in the bottom piece (one on each of the 2 flange blocky bits) to help the Vac lower part self seal to the Core’s bolts better.

I did with the version with the clear PVC, but someone else did it before, too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

PVC Seems like a good idea. Am using Gorilla Crystal Clear Repair Duct Tape, surprisingly thick and effective for misc jobs.

Uploaded it:

https://www.printables.com/model/408604-improved-dust-shoe-for-lowrider-3

4 Likes

Thanks!
Just printed it, fitting the plastic was a bit PIA but in the end I managed to fit it properly.
Can’t wait to try it out

Yeah, the gap is 0.5mm or so, because it should not fall out later… :smiley: Mine works well, but if you have thicker plastic it could be hard to do. :stuck_out_tongue: If you like post a make (pretty please! :D).

2 Likes

What probably didn´t help is that my used plastic has some 3D relief. The short part of the holder was easy to apply, but the longer side I had to use a lot of patience and tools to get it in correctly.

Still will have to check what lenght to make the plastic, so it doesn´t get torn out by the bit. For now I did cut it to the length I felt comfortable.

ofcourse! Thanks for the great design, it will help to keep things more clean :slight_smile:
I will most likely look for some magnets too, as the rattle is something I´d like to eliminate.

3 Likes

Very nice, post it to Prusa as well, please if it’s not too much hassle.

1 Like

I do not have Prusa account, but will try to do when having some time!

1 Like