Dust Shoe Brush = Reduced dust?

Im using my LowRider at home.
Would a CNC Dush Brush help to get the lowest possible dust pollution in the room?

Something attached to the existing official dust shoe like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Cleaner-Engraving-Machine-Collector/dp/B08M962VHM/

Do an other Mods exist to reduce the dust polution?

Those should reduce the dust. The main benefit is stopping or slowing down the chips and dust so the vac can suck them up.

But you need to make sure they aren’t ever binding and causing the head to skip steps. Some bristles can be pretty rigid.

1 Like

This for sure. I bought some brush very similar to the one you linked and I ended up having to take it off. When it would change directions for Y it would cause the LR3 to lift up. I’m waiting to check out @vicious1 new and improved dust shoe he has been working on. And then probably have to wait for @DougJoseph to mod it for the 2 1/2" hose from my dust collection lol

That is a great question, and one that is explored by a lot of LowRider makers. The bristles definitely could help, and the downside is when working down close (core close to material, such as when bit is either deep or short or both), where they are no longer needed, then the bristles can get bent back underneath the bottom of the core, and if they are not mounted far enough away, the bristles can even get caught in the router bit.

I have gotten great success from the standard dust shoe design (which I remixed to accommodate my 2.5" shop vac hose, as contrasted with the original which was for 48mm hose), and also, whenever I needed to do a cut in which my core was going to always be further away from the material, I have gotten improved success by using my remixed “extended height” dust shoe slip-ons — linked below.

LowRider 3 CNC - HEIGHT EXTENSIONS for Makita 700 Series removable dust shoe - for ~48mm VAC HOSE (v1.0)

LowRider 3 CNC - HEIGHT EXTENSIONS for Makita 700 Series removable dust shoe - for 2.5" VAC HOSE (v1.2)

1 Like

I remixed the original one to have a skirt and magnets:
https://www.printables.com/model/408604-improved-dust-shoe-for-lowrider-3

@Olivier made it as well and seems happy: Improved dust shoe - #18 by Olivier

1 Like

Nice! Like it.

1 Like