I Shall Call it.... Work In Progress

It was a in office day today. Managed to convince the boss to let me run to one of my favorite stores up the street. Picked something up while I was there.

Not risking it with these router temps anymore. Also found a better extension cord to use so hopefully all these issues are fixed.

2 Likes

First Calibration cube for PETG failed, Some kinda issue with X axis. Lowered Speed and Temp and trying again. The PLA residue on my extruder is making one heck of a smell. Good thing I have windows!

Update:

Smell is starting to go away :tada:

Second Print was successful. Did point out my retraction distance was to large (uneven thickness)

Ryan pointed me in the right direction. I had just slightly reassembled my hotend wrong

1 Like

Welp. I decided I’d take the hump put by hand….

Made a little mess

But now if I get the chance to soon I can run a fast very shallow (thinking 0.25mm) spoilboard surface and should finally have the spoilboard I want… but I still have to tram the Kobalt

6 Likes

I would not have expected a jack plane and mdf would get along that well. Nice.

3 Likes

I’m slowly becoming convinced a sharp blade will cut anything clean

3 Likes

First I made some things! You can find the threads here & here

Thumbnail photos:

Now my issues. This week I found out the Grub Screws SHOULD be loctited and it is not just a “over-engineered” recommendation (Now that I know Ryan more I know this is not his style… my gut told me to too. But my loctite was at the office…). I am also having a issue with the lead screws/z-steppers; I’m losing steps I initially though it was a lube issue but I’m having to lube way to often and even with I’m having issues. I made a thread for this here; I’m guessing its my untuned drivers but we’ll see what the others say and if I get shop time before what tinkering does for me.

1 Like

Welp, mistakes were made today. Got a piece for my mom’s bday present. Planned on doing it today (party tomorrow) surface the wood a few times. Got final thickness measurements and got ready to cut out my piece. Realized that I don’t have a long enough but to cut all the way through… and final piece would have been too big for my small bandsaw. Man I wish I had thought about that sooner… now I’m trying to figure out what I can do quickly in the AM if even possible.

1 Like

Okay. So I finally tried making tape to section off things to paint… it didn’t go well. I’m assuming my details were too small and the tape didn’t stick it just lifted off in areas. Where it stuck it was very clean cut. But too many close together details just make it come loose. I’m gonna do some research but anyone got tips for after a piece is cut?

Not sure what you mean. I’m going to assume paint bleeding into the wood…? I typically spray some polyurethane over the whole piece before painting to seal the wood before applying paint. It also makes cleaning an oops easier. :grimacing: I’m not a great painter, so there are more oops then i care to admit to…

That’s more what I’m talking about. A alternative to oramask is masking tape (suggested by some others here) but it’s holding strength isn’t as good so on these small details it got pulled up some. I guess I could overspray the paint then sand it back down, I just need to be careful of some of the fine details.

Yeah, i haven’t had great luck with ormask type films. Unless the piece is painted first, then the cut out areas painted, but still not perfect.

Welp, I’ve probably signed myself up for more work than I gathered but I’m upgrading to the jackpot sense my Pi board quit on me. If I have time I’ll try finding some stuff but if any of you have any tips I’m all ears!

1 Like

The new board has already shipped! Man that was fast sense the order was placed around the holiday!

Its here, Its here! Now the question is… how much do I take on…Do I redo some of it, take it apart and paint it all pretty. Or do I simply get a case for the jackpot printed and plug it in?

Okay Getting lots done despite the rest of my life being :fire: :fire_engine: :medical_symbol:

Made and remade some of my first things for 3d printing, it’s only tinkercad but it did work wonders

remixed the jackpot case to use a power jack

Made a mount for the focal lenses that came with the Laser

Made my own mount for @DougJoseph kinematics mount (or Mag mount)

1 Like

I hope that clears up for you soon!

Tinkercad is surprisingly useful.
Those three parts are all functionally useful for you, and that’s what counts.

3 Likes

Nice work! Sorry for the troubles, hope it gets better for you.

1 Like

Thank you both. I know this is just a makers forum but you all really make it so much more than that. And I hope to share more of what’s going on with all of you soon but the truth is I don’t know where any of it is going currently and I can only ride the waves as they are coming at me.

2 Likes

Well I have more time to myself now. have to use it to do the LR3 stuff as I need/want to get this stuff over with sooner than later.

I’m looking at setting up some test files for the laser and was starting with the speed and power grid everyone does. Couldn’t figure out what I should top the speed out at… Then I was curious what Ryan set the limits to… 9000 mm/min (~150 mm/sec) :flushed: :flushed: :flushed:; on the skr I upped my limits to 6000 mm/min (~100 mm/sec) but haven’t exceeded 25 mm/sec while cutting.

I don’t have a massive concern to go super fast at first here so I’ll probably set the test to only go up to 100 mm/sec sense I do that as my manual rapids frequently. I will also be setting up a DPI test and a focus test too.

It has begun. I tore out the skr, ripped the back strut off, redid the path for all the wiring, and… … … Thread Loced my GRUB screws!!!

Now I have also decided to do Doug’s floating dust shoe.

so here’s my checklist

Finish cable management
Run air assist hose for laser
Turn on and test jackpot board
Tighten strut back on
Assemble dust shoe
level, square, tram router
surface spoilboard

biggest issue I face is I am gone for the weekend; and despite what mighty amazon said some of the parts I ordered got delayed and won’t be arriving on time. Wish me luck