I bought a bandsaw. And then another one

I though I’ll let you take part in my journey of idiocy. I, stubbornly, decided I needed a bandsaw to split boards. I wanted to get away from using the circular saw and electric handsaw for the rest.

So like any informed guy I researched for saws being able to resaw 250mm and found one brand that, though not existing any more, seemed to be the top choice: an old Elektra Beckum BAS 450.

I then went further down the rabbit hole and found a lot of pros saying it sucked, and posted a list of good machines. I found one of them, an old Kölle, for 400€. I was happy, but: the weight is 0.75 tons. Transport would have cost way more than the saw.

The Elektra Beckum:

So I bought an Elektra Beckum from 1986 in near mint condition for pretty cheap, also only needing 220V and not 380. But alas, the internet was right. The screw to tighten the saw blade (the one on top of the machine) was used up, because it’s only an M8, so I replaced it (which really is the only thing that was broken, everything else seems like it was never used, it stood in a school where it was never used). It works okay, but there was no spark. I had fallen in love with the old Kölle from 1958.

The Kölle:

I finally found someone to deliver it to me for 400€, he wants to do it tomorrow. I hope he can deliver (haha) on his promise. He is a carpenter, so he should now how to handle this machine. He also has the tools to transport it. I am so excited but fear he might not be able to pull it off. I also need the right plug (380V) now. Already called the electrician. :smile:

Both pictures from eBay, didn’t take any myself yet.

5 Likes

The Kölle even has the thing for welding blades back together. Cool.

2 Likes

Not that I would trust me to do that… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Congrats on your new aquisition :slight_smile:
I’m on the verge of buying one right now too :slight_smile:

I didn’t want to get a very old bandsaw though… they’re great, for sure, but they’re also very tall (my workshop is only 1m80 high), and weight a ton… iterally (again, my workshop is in the basement, with only a staircase to access it… so, bringing this kind of machine downstair would be perilous…)
Also, the 380V thing is another problem, adding to the cost once again…
Speaking of cost, wel… people who sell these machines have gone crazy these last few years :confused:

So, I found a little Metabo bandsaw, and hope it will do the job alright :slight_smile:
It “only” can do 165mm in height, but that should do the trick…

3 Likes

2013 could have been one of the last made in Germany. They outsourced a lot to China now.

Metabo bought Elektra Beckum, so you basically have one, too. :smile:

2 Likes

I sold the first bandsaw for 180€ more than I paid for it. Put it up online and got the offer 3 minutes later. Should have asked for even more. But then again, I shouldn’t be greedy. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Quick! Buy another one! :smiley:

Got mine today :slight_smile:
Just as I anticipated, I can’t go any taller than that…

2 Likes

Nah, one is enough. My friend brought it over with his Bulli. It took him and his mate over an hour to get it in, and it took us over an hour to get it out again. 750kg are no joke. Pushing it up a ramp of OSB (one of the broke…) took us 5 minutes and another 5 to get it into position. Now it’s going to stay there until I die and my kids have to get rid of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is quite a bit of work to be done, but I am looking forward to it. It will be cleaned, maybe painted (the original colour is gone anyway), needs new V-belts etc. But overall it seems rock solid. I am in love. :slight_smile: I also need to wait for the electrician to hook me up with 380V. :smiley:

This is a good start into the new year, one more hour till 2024. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Neither did I, so I bought a new one, which I’ve had for a very long time and now… :thinking:

Nicely done both of you - my bandsaw is just the handiest of things. I rarely use it for breaking down timber, but it’s amazing how useful it is.

@Tokoloshe your bedroom must be getting a bit cluttered with all these new bits of machinery! :smiley:

1 Like

I was informed that I had indeed bought a bandsaw that is meant for metal, because the top speed is pretty low (m/min). This doesn’t bother me much though, I can always swap the motor.
The saw does not look good from the outside, it’s dirty, paint is flaking off etc. The system it works with is ingenious thoug: If you turn a knob on the front of the saw, the gears under the hood (bottom left corner, first picture) change their size, the front as welll as the back to change to speed.

Then there is a second knob that shifts the gears (like in a car) for another three sub-speeds. And look how welll that thing held up. I was flashed opening the gearbox. Incredible for a machine that’s around 65 years old.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t bother. So what if it’s a little slower cutting wood, you’re not the in high production time-is-money sort of work.

1 Like

Those machines are a whole another beast… Makes you wonder what a CNC would have been built like in those years :stuck_out_tongue:

Got my first cuts on mine tonight and I’m in awe… It’s so easy and secure to cut intricate lines or thin rips… I would have stained my pants a dozen times to do similar cuts on the table saw…

I really need to build a fence though, but I can easily see myself using it even for small and fast simple cuts

4 Likes

So glad for you! I had wanted a bandsaw for years, and finally figured out a way to make one happen for me. I absolutely love having it. I use it quite often.

1 Like

Same, but first I need power. :smiley:

I inherited my grandfather’s. It only has a 6" depth of cut. I’ve considered getting a big beefy one, but this does almost everything I need.

I rebuilt a good chunk of it. I replaced the tires and most of the bearings.

4 Likes

I recently purchased the Rikon 10-324TG. It’s at the cheaper end of the larger saws and I’m pretty happy with it. I specifically chose it for the large resaw capacity. Just make sure you have an extra set of hands to lift it on to the base. I think something inside me moved the wrong way when I heaved it up. :sweat_smile: :tired_face:

1 Like

How it’s going. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

looks like an episode from @my mechanics !

First door done. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Nearly done.

7 Likes