How to set depth

I am very very very new to CNC. I have a MPCNC Primo. I have had it for a year and still haven’t used it. I know very little how to get it going. I was able to cad something, and I want to cut out 1/16" polycarbonate. I can get it to move, but I do not know how to set the depth of the cut.

I would suggest you start by reading the following documentation: Milling Basics - V1 Engineering Documentation
Then do some testing on scrap parts until you get comfortable with your machine.
Good luck and have fun

4 Likes

Buy some pink/green/blue foam insulation sheets. They are relatively inexpensive, machine insanely well, are lightweight, and make a horrific mess. But they also don’t damage bits, or send dangerous projectiles hurtling across your shop (well, aside from aforementioned foam dust). They are a good way to get a good feel for what your machine feels and sounds like when it’s running, and some immediate feedback on your CAM as far as size and cut order goes. Just remember that nothing else will machine like foam does, and be prepared to make adjustments for your actual stock.

This is also a good way to tinker with your workflow around setting the Z height of the stock, and how that works with your CAM.

Even more fun: Look up “Lost Foam Casting” and start thinking about that

2 Likes