Holy Schnikes - It Works! MPCNC build in central Pennsylvania

What an amazing feeling when you power it up and the V1 Engineering startup screen comes up! Thank you to everyone that gave me such good advice during the build process and thank you to Ryan for coming up with this concept and then making it accessible to anyone that wants to build it!

Unfortunately, it appears that I may have got one of the SKR Pro 1.2 boards that ignores the end stops. If I have to I will make up some of those 1.5 ohm resistor pigtails. When I manually trip each end stop it does put out the corresponding light on the board wear the stepper motors plug in. I have only tested this from the TFT screen under the motion option. I haven’t connected my laptop to it with Repetier Host yet, but it’ll likely do the same thing, yes?

Also, a side note, I used the precompiled software that V1 provides on their site.

Again, Thanks Ryan and V1 community!!

8 Likes

I like your controller mount setup! No cable chains to get in the way, though with the catwalk grating, it looks like you plan to have a plasma cutter on there… nice build.

Here’s another pic of it. Sorry my shop area is a mess and it’s hard to make out the machine very well. I used an arbor type setup for my wire management and as place to mount my controller. I used light gauge elastic cording to hold up the the wires.

My intent is to attach my waste board from underneath the aluminum grating.

4 Likes

You guessed right Orob! Once I get a basic knowledge of controlling it I would like to make a plasma torch mount.

1 Like

That’s awesome nice work !!
I also like to have things up high. Congratulations

Wow what is your working size?

28"x28"x3.25"

Thanks, now I have to learn how to use the thing!

If you did a good job with your electrical connections like it appears you have, then the operation of it should be easy. The drawing part I’m still trying to figure out and that is likely where most of your time will be spent: getting what you want out of your head and into gcode. You are off to a good start, for sure.

Does anyone know if controlling the unit with the LCD onboard movement function take into account the dual end stops?

I know sometimes at work we wire our Hand-Off-Auto switches to run a motor even when a alarm relay is keeping it held out in “auto”. Is this a similar situation?

It only pays attention to the endstops during homing. Any other time they will have no effect on the operation

Thank You Jonathon!

1 Like

correction

Thank You Jonathan!

(sorry…)

No problem at all!! Glad I could help!! Now it’s time to get it dirty!!

I can’t remember the last time I felt this good about a project! I sincerely mean that. This has been so rewarding!!

I really like the looks of your setup too. I’d like to get rid of my cable chains. What did you use for the grating?

I got the grating from a decommissioned water treatment plant that we’re in the process of tearing down. They were formerly catwalk treads.

One nice thing about them is it gives you a lot of options for hold downs for work pieces. I have 2 different styles I 3d printed. If you go the grating route, I’ll gladly share the STL’s with you. (You may have to tweak them if it’s a different grating type.)