Help with end stops on the original Burley build

Hello friends, After a stalled build (many reasons) I’ve finally got to the stage of drawing the Crown successfully on my original Burley build using the Rambo 1.4 board. Firstly, should I update the firmware on the board, if so, is the latest Marlin the one to use. Secondly, I’m at a loss to see how to fit end stops. Ideally, I’d like to do the dual end stop setup to aid in accuracy and repeatability.
Your help and advice would be very much appreciated. I have a big project just waiting to go! Many thanks in anticipation.
Jim (Cheltenham, UK)

I’d like to do the dual end stop setup to aid in accuracy and repeatability.

The primary purpose of endstops (physical or electronic) is to square the machine. The benefit of mechanical vs electronic endstops is tiny and will go unnoticed in wood projects compared to other potential inaccuracy concerns. With physical endstops, you lightly push the axes against physical stops while engaging the steppers.

If you want to add electronic endstops, the first thing to check is how you have your machine wired. If you are only using three stepper drivers, your machine is wired in serial/series, and installing endstops will require you to rewire your machine. If you are using five stepper drivers (i.e. each stepper is wired independently to the control board), then your machine is ready for electronic endstops.

For the Burly, there was no official way to install electronic endstops. For the Burly, you will find several different, third-party endstop solutions on Thingiverse.

Regardless of what endstop solution you select, you want to make sure the endstops are adjusted to square the machine. This means your machine will draw/cut squares instead of parallelograms.