Help develop the next MP3DP!?!

Main goal for this layout was smaller overall XY footprint. Easier squaring and assembly.

Didn’t realize printed part temp is the limit, and not stepper. Using ASA parts solves that for most higher temp materials, IF people planning to print high temp material. Am ignoring v.high temp like Peek.

Me neither. I haven’t thought about 4 way shield, e.g. left and right X blinds, and front/rear Y blinds stacked on top above the belts attached to edges and core.

Reducing energy needed to heat chamber for higher temp materials. Minimize or avoid chamber heater even.

I sit close to the printer, the room gets hot during long prints.

Edit: Just remembered keeping regular steppers below 80c helps avoid magnets demagnetizing, good for longevity/performance? Didn’t realize we’re using high temp rated for 180c.

Currently have (from V1E) Zyltech 17HD48002H-22B.

I vote for rear motors for wiring. My only concern is the one motor mount you were already aware of.

I don’t care about belt size as long as it and parts are readily available.

2 Likes

We are not using any special steppers. I have no idea what they can handle I am sure at least 80C. I can’t imagine you would try to actually keep your chamber at 80C?, what do you need the chamber temp to be.

As I said we are not making this as a extreme chamber but I am trying to accommodate your wants. So what is the chamber temp you want to use for ASA?

Rail position is next.

That would put belts crossing the front of the machine. The parts cooler would have to be designed to not hit them.

Not meant to answer for @azab2c. But I cant see a need for ASA or ABS for a chamber temp over 60°c

E-Brake update. The relay seems to work perfectly. The steppers power on just fine and work as expected. Kill the power and the are still holding. It seems the relays power down before the SKR by a split second. I feel zero drop at all except the slight give it has after power down, the smooth slide.

We are going to call this Plan B, Mike has another idea that could be even better. I will open another thread to discuss it there. E-Brake for Belted Z axis

3 Likes

Not really. The belts can still cross in the back you will just need a front idler in place of the motors in the front

1 Like

No we can still cross them in the back. We can put a stepper anywhere there is currently a idler. we can even add one in random places as long as it is not where the belt is variable length. (we can add one in the middle off the side if we want)

2 Likes

Bit is crazy how great it prints!!

Are we going to discuss multi-material / color capabilities?

1 Like

I’m 99.9% sure that’s on the list just a little farther down the list LOL.

Really though I believe something like the ERCF can be run on just about anything. Only prerequisite being you have to be running klipper.

I just tested it shorting one coil on one stepper with a 16T pulley it hold 4 lbs, it holds 5 lbs for a couple inches then slips.

So with one “brake” on each Z stepper we can easily hold 4 lbs each.

Shorting both coils should hold more (nearly double?)?

So we have a target. your bed stack needs to be under 12 lbs or you need twice the brakes.

I just weight 3 steppers, 305x305mm 1/4" aluminum plate with a header and am sitting at 6.5lbs. (how the heck is your bed more than twice that JJ?!?!?!)

I think staying under 12lbs should be fairly easy for a standard build.

1 Like

his support plate under the bed is also 1/4" aluminum…plus glass on top

1 Like

add another 1/4" aluminum for the brace, and at the 10.5 lbs I had a 310x320 glass bed on there as well. I did weigh that separate and its 2lbs on its own. That’s off now so I should be at 8.5lbs lol

This feels like outside of the scope of this.

I think the open ones like ERCF and SMuFF can adapt to any of them, and it sits outside. So it’s more on your board/software choice to support it

are you running this direct from the power supply or from a pin on the board?

edit… Crap, sorry I forgot about the separate thread…moving this there

You need to cut some speed holes in that brace…and we need to find a glass substitute. Although an extra $7 gets you more brakes…so either way it is not a big deal.

1 Like

PS, I only bought 24v relays.

Agreed. I have not used one so I can’t really try to put my own twist on it.

There is also pallet and 3d chameleon. Kind of a lot of ways to add it now.

Since we discussing enclosure, lightweight components, I thought extra tubes / space needed to run them, mounting can be limiting factors