Have LR2 and Primo parts, LR3?

Hello V1 community, this is the first time I’ve commented, but I’ve been following the V1 products for quite some time. I have the kits for both a LowRider 2 and an Primo, but I never got around to putting them together because of life. Now that the LowRider 3 is out I am curious if I could take any of the components from the two kits to make it? Just curious what you all would do. Thank you for any advice.

1 Like

Me? I’d build one of everything…

Or, it kind of depends on what you want from the end product.

I really like my Primo, for what it can do. I built mine too big though, and that cost me some other capability. I still have plans to cut it down for extra stiffness. I think it has some high potential for working with some large aluminum heat sinks I have to rework my old DIY audio amplifiers.

The LowRider is a nice all-round flat parts machine. When it’s time to re-do my kitchen, this will be the machine that cuts me new cabinetry. As soon as the cost of lumber looks reasonable again, that is.

2 Likes

I built the Primo 2.5 years ago (MPCNC Primo Schneewittchen - Oldenburg, Germany) and it did a great job. But like Dan, I built it too big, so there is a little chatter in the middle. Since I do everything, from engraving tiny earrings to cutting rocket-shelves or Cajons I wanted a CNC that is even bigger than the Primo and would be more stiff.
I might want to go back to the Primo one day, like Dan, and make it smaller, but I think the Lowrider 3 might have been exactly what I was looking for (at least on paper it is). Can tell you more in a few days when it is running (Der Froschkönig - Lowrider 3 in Oldenburg, Germany). :smiley:

2 Likes

Things like the control board, motors, endstops, mostly the wiring harness, those work in any of the machines.

The hardware (bolts) don’t usually come up with the same quantity.

Mechanical parts like pulleys, idlers, belts should be reusable, but maybe in different quantities.

None of the printed parts are reusable.

The primo and the LR2 are great machines. My advice would be to build the primo first, in a reasonable size. You can use it to learn a bunch and make some smaller projects. At that point, you will know what it takes and what you want to do. If you want a bigger sheet style machine, then you will probably want the LR3 at that point and you will be able to see exactly what you need to do. You can also cut the flat parts for the lr3 on the primo. At the end, if you want to keep the primo running, it will be on the smaller size compared to the LR3 and be a good compliment.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your advice and comments. I think that I’ll go ahead and make the primo and then at some point in the future I’ll make the LR3.

PS - How big is too big for a primo?

1 Like

Mine was too big and had a working area of 545x755mm. Maybe 500x500 is better.

1 Like

I’m planning to build my first CNC with a working area of 2’ x 3’ - is that too big for an MPCNC? That would be about 608 x 912, so larger than Phillip’s machine. I believe the documentation suggests 3’ is the limit before LR3 is indicated. I’d like to be able to do shelves and cabinet doors, but I can use a table saw for the main panel cuts. I’m open to either design. My other goal is to be able to use it as an occasional 3D printer for large things. I don’t need a lot of vertical height for that.

1 Like

That sounds like the perfect application for the low rider. Big sheet goods. A 2’x3’ low rider is a great machine.

Yeah, sounds like a job for the LowRider. :smile:

Jeff and Phillip - thanks for the feedback.

tim

2 Likes