Fysetc SD-Wifi with MicroSD storage

If this needs to go to anther forum section, that is OK.
So an honest review of this wifi module running ESPWebDav to put files on to run via TFT35E3-V3.
I ordered one of these knowing that they are not a ESP WiFi controller, just file transfer over WiFi.
It looked interesting, has a ESP based chip, and can use up to 32gb microSD’s, and is fairly reasonable on price.
I got this about a week ago (10.12.2022). It came damaged, microUSB plugin used to set it up not soldered on one side and not able to use. no off to a good start. Amazon returned, and a new one showed up 10.18.2022.

It is pre-flashed with the current firmware, including the DavWWWroot server on the card. Setting it up went easy enough. There is firmware, a setup guide, and other bits on the microSD supplied.
One of the setup options is to use a supplied setup.ini with your SSID and Password on it, don’t bother.
One thing that was an issue, to really get it setup in a reasonable amount of time is use a powered USB hub. It is a bit of a hog, and low power causes issues. Took some time to get it going, had to dig up an old USB hub. Once it has that it went very quick following the supplied instructions.
The microSD comes with an older version of the Arduino software, it is obvious that is what it was designed for, the newest IDE even with all the libraries I could get, wouldn’t see its COM port, the old Arduino did see the port and made setup very easy through its serial monitor right off with 0 extra libraries.
Right now I have a 16gb MicroSD in it. It can be seen and files sent to it through the WiFI, I mapped it as a network drive.
No it is NOT Octoprint, just file transfer. No control of the CNC as its is just a network wireless drive essentially.
For me and my shop/setup this is fine, as I run off the TFT mostly anyway.
Would I buy it again? No…maybe…
John

On another note:
I have 2 MPCNC’s with the SKR 1.2 boards and TFT35E3-V3 Touch screens as sold by V1.
On MPCNC #1, the older of the 2 builds, the SD-wifi would only connect and be usable using the microUSB-USB cable supplied and hooked into the screen USB port. When inserted into the SD card slot on it, as advertised, it would have a “Failed to initialize SD card” failure.
On MPCNC #2, none of the ports on it would work. All had the “Failed to initialize SD card” issue.

In looking through various online forums this appears to be a power issue. Both MPCNC’s have the V! supplied Kastar 12VDC 6 amp power brick.

Guess I’ll be getting out the meters

What size SD cards? IIRC, those readers choke on the big ones (that’s what she said…)

i.e., keep in at 8ingb or so…

I have seen those and they did look interesting but I came to a different conclusion, Headless SKR Pro Info - #84 by vicious1. The ESP-01s is pretty rad, The worst part is if you do want to do file transfers they are very slow. The rest you have full control wirelessly. You can see in that thread we kinda messed around with it for a while.

Your card issues could be all sorts of things. Some brands just do not work well, fat vs fat32, folder in the root. Super new fancy cards typically do not work well, but it could just be the adapter seems a bit wonky vs the esp-01, but having the card port is nice.

I was actually looking at those this morning, because I’m planning to remove the TFT and go headless with the ESP-01 module Ryan just released, and use a fire tablet for control.

The file upload is super slow though, so I was thinking I could use a SD extender and use the SD slot on the skr pro board, but I couldn’t find mine in my spares box, so started looking at wifi-sd cards. Given the price, and your review, I might try the sd extender first.