Headless SKR Pro Info

If you have the screen might as well leave it plugged in. It isn’t needed though.

I haven’t had a tft on my machines in years. :muscle:

1 Like

sigh…I just can’t go that long without marlin invaders.

Kind of embarrassed I have not tried that!

Keep in mind. I almost never print or cut the same file twice. So every interaction already involves a computer.

If I was running a print farm with the same few dozen parts, an SD card/screen setup would be very useful.

And if I was just starting out and was trying to keep things simple, then the screen is very useful.

But I don’t need one.

2 Likes

Finally got it up, going to add a couple to inventory so we can get some more eyes on this.

5 Likes

Only thing stopping me is the last caveat that it can’t easily be updated.

Then I read that you are sure it’s complete, plus it’s only $10.

Done!

Thanks so much Ryan, this is going to be awesome.

2 Likes

Well I’m sure it works at least.

The programmer is inexpensive if some shiny new feature comes out, and I will do my best to make some files and instructions available.

Honestly, as long as I can ask for help in adding it to the skr pro and setting up the initial wifi config, I probably won’t add features for a long while. Rather be using the machine. I get so little free time I’d rather be cutting vs doing software.

Thanks again Ryan!

If I put the esp chip on the headers in the tft, that means I can use the tft sd card slot , is that correct?

Or I can get rid of the tft, and use an sd card slot extender coming out of the control box- I think I have one I used to use on an rpi3

It works from the board as well. The only one I have not tried is the skr usb, but I am pretty sure that still doesn’t. I can try tomorrow.

You just can’t see the sd card from Marlin mode.

1 Like

Gotcha.

I think I have an sd card extender from an old rpi3 octoprint setup- I might put that in the board control box and get rid of the tft.

Not sure how to access the skr sd port otherwise.

I just ordered one. I might make a day of it and install the wifi chip, the laser, the touchplate port and the struts all at once.

That’s going to be a fun day!

2 Likes

I opted to use the port on the TFT, so that it could see the same SD card I was using in Marlin mode when I was playing with this idea. This resulted in the remix of the TFT screen case with the opening to allow the ESP01S module to stick out the side.

1 Like

If you do the TFT make sure NOT to update to 515 or newer as I changed the SD cards around.

1 Like

i think ill do the update and omit the tft entirely.

thanks guys

1 Like

P.S. I would offer free reprogramming but round trip shipping would kill any value there I assume.

Some folks could do this for free using the db9 on their PC (or ftdi/cp2101/ch340/…whatever is in the toolbox) and a few spare female duponts to configure 3 of the pins for boot mode. Just mentioning this as I often do such hacks to move testing forward while waiting for parts to arrive.

1 Like

You guys are speaking a different language

Ask me to run a single polymorphism analysis on the receptor response to an ascending dose of lipid nano complex-RNA and I’m all over it .

I wouldn’t even know where to find my computers db9, lol

1 Like

If you even have a DB-9 on your computer anymore… They went out with EGA graphics. :wink: