Fusion 360, FreeCad, LibreCad?

How much does it matter what I choose for CAD software? I understand that '360 and FreeCad are 3D based and that Libre is 2d. What limitations should I be concerned with? The question is intentionally broad because I’m hoping for replies to situations I have not considered. (eg personal vs commercial, modelling etc)

What do you plan on using it for? 3d modeling, CNC designs, etc? I have recently started learning 3d modeling outside of sketchup.

Here’s is what I have found about the ones you listed. As I’ve been looking too

Fusion 360 is like the iPhone of 3d modeling softwares. Everyone uses it and it’s a very friendly interface. The free version is for non commercial use (you are technically not supposed to sell anything you design using it)

FreeCAD has a big learning curve but most people that use it love it and it has a big community behind it and it’s completely open source so you don’t have to worry about licensing

I do not know a lot about LibreCAD besides it’s favored by some CNC channels.

Some of the others will have to chime in about more specifics

1 Like

I’ve only ever used FreeCAD and I like it for doing 3D parts. I also found that QCad is SUPER easy to use for doing 2D stuff. It has the simple drawing program ease-of-use, but still has the precision you need for a CAD package.

1 Like

I use Fusion for 3D and AutoCAD for 2D, especially AutoCAD is really easy to understand and has got a ton of options. I have an education license though and don’t have to pay for it.

1 Like

Like Andrew, am curious…

For printed and CNC’d projects am using Fusion 360 for 3D, but am also using Fusion 360’s sketch functionality, and .dxf export to do 2D. Vaguely recall getting this idea from one of @robertbu’s posts.

If designing house/remodel stuff, then am using Home Designer.

2 Likes

I want to design my own parts for 3d printing and CNC. If I’m understanding things correctly, a 2d CAD is better for CNC operations in most cases and 3D cad is more suited to printing.

If I’m understanding things correctly, a 2d CAD is better for CNC operations in most cases and 3D cad is more suited to printing.

This is generally correct, but there is a lot of stuff hiding in the not “most cases.” For example, for your CNC work, you may like relief carving. Relief carving requires a 3D model of some sort and CAM that can handle relief carving. Even when I do 2D CNC work, it is often nice to model the project in 3D to see how all the 2D wood pieces fit together and whether the finished work looks and feels “right.”

You have to think about how you like to work. Fusion 360’s parametric modeling is a much better fit for my drawing abilities (or lack thereof) then a vector editor like Inkscape. I love building things with constraints, and being able to resize things in mass rather than individually. If I am changing the material thickness, it is wonderful to be able to change one number and have the drawings and models reconfigure themselves. But other people may really like the freedom of drawing with a tablet and pen to generate 2D vectors for CNC work.

No tool does everything. For example, Fusion 360 does not handle complex vector drawings well. It quickly becomes overwhelmed with even simpler drawings. So, if you like to do scroll-work-like projects, then you will need to find a vector tool other than Fusion 360 to do the vector work. I do a lot of laser work with my Primo, and really like Lightburn. I turn to it for complex 2D vector work.

I’m a fan of Fusion 360, but I acknowledge the learning curve is stepper than most other design solutions (both 2D and 3D).

4 Likes