FrankenVAC v2

Right,

I was not happy with the performance of FrankenVAC, so its going to get changed after i cut some more rings tonight.

I am going to cut down the motor barrel so its quite short, just high enough to fit a HEPA filter i found we sell. Then i will use the existing vortex generator and cut its barrel down to be only like 200 or 300 mm high and then last will be another barrel with its motor section cut off, and turned into a bin.

The vac pressure will be from the top like all others, and the dust will fall down into the bin. Pro ones have a big plastic bag. I dont expect i will be making that much dust… (famous last words) but even so it should not be a gig thing to empty it.

The motor unit and vortex generator will be clamped together and supported with the original wall mounts for these units (relocating the mounts probably)

the dust barrel will have to sit on a platform that will raise up somehow.

Sigh, i will get it right some time soon.

2 Likes

Ok, i have a strange issue.
I got some free time on the weekend, very rare, and I went straight to the workshop to finish cutting the parts for FrankenVAC and kept running into this same problem, the touch plate not working.

Here is the strange part, after the first time the bit drove into the touchplate and kept going, i checked the endstops and probe with M119 and its was not “triggered”.

Ok, no worries I checked all the wires and found one of them had come loose. 20mins later withs some hot glue on all the little connections on the board, was watching the LR3 doing the same thing.

Again I reset the machine to stop it diving for china and checked the endstops with m119 and its all good the probe is triggered when i should be, but as soon as i run the program the probe wont trigger the machine to stop when it is touched.

So another 3 attempts and same issue the probe works with m119, to the point where i even lowered the gantry 0.1mm at a time, and ran m119 each time (when i was supper close) and the probe was triggered when it touched the prob on the surface.
All that was to prove that the cable what not broken or something.

So it seems that the machine is ignoring the touchplate, somehow.

I didn’t think to check the start code on the file, as its the same laptop and setup, other than some TOOL LIST changes, but maybe something got screwed up, i will check today.

List what start code you are using and what board (now with some of us using GRBL it could get confusing).

ok here is the code

;Project
;Created by Estlcam version build
;Machining time about hours
; code from V1 Eng
G92 X0 Y0 ; Set Current position to 0 on the X and Y axes.
M0 Attach probe ; Pause to connect touchplate
G38.2 Z0 ; Probe down to touchplate
G92 Z0.65 ; Set new Z position to thickness of touchplate
G1 Z2 F900 ; Lift off touchplate
M0 Remove probe ; Pause and wait for touchplate removal
M106 ; This will turn on an IOT relay to start a router or vacuum
G90
M03 S

Well if that doesn’t work maybe re-flash your control board. That should work.

Damm it.
Due to the $hit fight at work i cleaned off the computer and i am fairly sure i lost the file and defiantly the visual code install. I backed up everything but it was pretty rushed and not as clean or organised as it needed to be.

So short answer is that will not be happening anytime soon, i will have to rebuild the code while reading that long winded, bloated, rambling build log. SIGH.

So three questions.

1. can i use the terminal window to just type in “G38.2 Z0” to prove there is a problem with the firmware code?
  2. Short of the “pain in the arse-ness” of having to set the height manually, is the any down side of just changing the code to

-=-=- start code -=-=-=-
;Project
;Created by Estlcam version build
;Machining time about hours
; code from V1 Eng
G92 X0 Y0 Z0; Set Current position to 0 on the X, Y and Z axes.
G1 Z10 F900 ; Lift off surface
M0 ; Pause for no reason ;
M106 ; This will turn on all “FAN” headers to 100%
G90 ; Set machine to absolute positioning
-=-=-=- end code -=-=-=-=-

1. Can you please confirm that “M106 ; This will turn on all “FAN” headers to 100%” is correct?
    I figured out which terminals are fans on the board, its pretty clear on the manual, but there are some “NO fans” and then “CNC fans”

Which ones are controlled via the M106?

So on the manual the it also give the details of these FANS

Manual
(https://cdn.shopifycdn.net/s/files/1/1619/4791/files/BIGTREETECH_SKR_3_EZ_User_Manual.pdf?v=1655433964)

In this post from @olijouve and @robertbu

they talk about being able to turn on all fans with just M106 and specific fans with M106 P2 255
would the fan number they are talking about correspond to the these?

Thanks everyone!

would the fan number they are talking about correspond to the these?

Yes.

• P0 → Fan0
  • P1 → Fan1
  • P2 → Fan2

Though I’ve never seen it happen, there is nothing stopping a developer from assigning the fans differently than this list. In addition, I saw one case about a week ago where the firmware did not expose one of the hardware fan pins for use by M106/M107.

@vicious1 just wondering if you could chime in regarding point 1 and 2?

How much did that “free” vac cost again? :smiley:

My own version of Herman Munster Vac (like Franken but not so serious) might happen shortly. I think I’m going to invest the money I received for my digital CNC sale in a separate vac ($59.00) two paint buckets ($12.00) and a bit of plumbing (lying around) and do something similar.

I already have a $30.00 Chinese cyclone set up on my vac, and it works really well, but I’m not going to fit it in the sound rated enclosure I have planned for under my Lowrider Bench.

If we are talking $ then sofar its free, the boss has not charged me for the two new motors. lol.
if we are talking TIME, about $2000.00 :rofl:

The reality is that i get all this stuff for free, all the barrels are old repairs that the customer upgraded there unit as usually its not that much more to get a 5year warranty with a new unit. if i didnt then there would be a lot more research before buying a decent shop vac (that is limited here in aus, as you know) and a cyclone.

But once i iron out the issues with the CNC, be it me or the firmware, i will be able to finish it. hopefully

SIGH.

I gave up bought the Ryobi (with a 5 year warranty) and a set of earmuffs.

Will keep that one as the shopvac and roll around gadget, and get another to go inside a cupboard. I have a “tiny” problem in that my workspace has a 1500 opening into my wife’s sewing space and a sliding door doesn’t cut it as a noise barrier even though I built it out of 30mm solid mdf more or less! :smiley:

Well that was a successful nights work

3 Likes

Absolutely.

No/yes. That code will not work but you can do something similar. Your Z height change will not work. z=10 is 110mm below the surface.

Hi Everyone.

Yep, i tested it last night and oddly enough the automatic Z height actually worked.
But i did copy this code into EstlCam and it worked.

Can you please explain this as it seemed to work, the Z hight lifts up after i started the program.
Z=10 is 110mm below the surface??

If you tested it and it works, all good!

1 Like

So i had some wins last night, the LR3 managed to cut the sealing rings.

The LR3 will need to be re-leveled, as the z axis screws are now out of alignment, not to much. Enough to not cut through the last 1 or 2 mm on the bottom.

Other than that the new cut settings i put together after reading the forums were much better that the basic ones i started with. so all in all it was a good night.

Next is to do is adding the new rings and completely changing the design of FrankenVAC, hopefully this is the last set for a while. I have just committed to pulling my yacht out of the water for 2 weeks for some major work (a new bow thruster) and i am going to be using the LR3 to make some templates i need to do that. So this week is the last real spare week to get the thing at least cutting. I am tempted to not touch it now its working, but other than the vac mods and re-levelling the X gantry I am not doing much.

I know at least that I can use it with the settings i used last night. The surface finish on the rebate of the MDF was a little… fluffy, but i suspect that is more the MDF than anything else. I will be using PLY for the templates i need to cut and they don’t have a rebate, lol.

As for the performance of FrankenVAC, i found a few design issues early on, hence the changes and the new sealing rings, but ignoring those and some more mods to the dust skirt last night, i didn’t see any dust in the air, i could not “smell” the MDF and the surface is pretty clean of the dust, I could see the “high pressure” spurt of dust coming off the cutting bit being pulled back into the dust shoe. So that is really good. I found the issue with the first run of FrankenVAC, there was a leak in the collection chamber and that was just pumping all the dust into the motor/s. since then its working better, but still needs these mods.

As for the cut, it is completely chockers with the dust of the cut after the bit though, i was cutting 16mm MDF and after about halfway through, the cut was still full after the dust shoe moved along the cut.
Not the best photo in the world, but you can see the cut full of dust.

the rebate that was cut was 100% cleaned buy the shoe (this is where you could watch the "high pressure dust being ejected of the bit and then being pulled back into the dust shoe), so its defiantly got something to do with the dust shoe, maybe the bit as it is a down cut bit or cut settings.

In terms of the dust shoe, i am 100% hearing the vac “loading up” and “unloading” when i fit the hose into and out of the shoe. I have used a step drill and drilled three BIG holes in the space under where the vac hose is plugged in. I am not sure this has made a difference, but i guess that is a whole other discussion.

I might see if @DougJoseph new dust shoe with the removeable section will fit and beg some time on the brothers printer.

The dust shoe(s) on my ongoing effort for the floating-Z, should fit the previous shoe mount. As you know there are three to choose from, 1/4 open, 1/2 open, and full open.

If more air flow is needed, the drawing that is used to cut the foam bristles could be modified for a wider slice gap between each bristle.

Does it still have the clip to hold it on doug?

The C-clip feature is available by itself here: Printables

and on the new effort here: Printables

On the former, the feature is connected to the dust shoe mount at the bottom of the core.

On the latter, the feature is connected to the upper router mount.

The difference is due to where the hose gets connected being changed from normal to new.

Thanks Doug,

I sorta just banged out that response cos i was at work etc and didn’t explain myself.
I was wondering if your design still had the clip on it that allows the dust shoe to be clipped on and off.

But i just went and had a look via the printables viewer and it does. So that is on the bothers printer now, he said i can have at it for the week or so then he is going to be using it again.
(also the other 1/4 open and full open are not loaded up to the printables site.)