Faulty DeWalt DW660?

Hey guys, I’m having a problem with my DW 660: it sparks inside where the brushes are, then after some time it would just die. The first time this happened, I sent it to DeWalt for service since it’s under warranty. They sent it back saying they “cleaned” it. I plugged it in and started it and it came on fine. it started cutting out a little piece out of plywood, and after 10 minutes or so sparks again slows down to a stop and won’t turn back on. Send it back to DeWalt, they say nothing is wrong yet again and send it back. Guess what, this is the third time this happens now and I’m just trying to figure out if I have a bad unit or is it something I am doing wrong?

Ultimately, I’m very turned off by this cut out tool, and would like an Alternate. any ideas?

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I assumed it was the brushes but they’re looking good and have a lot of life left on them so I dunno…

I’m guessing the brushes have worn out. They are easy to replace.

You might also try exchanging it at a home depot. I think they are generally pretty flexible with return policies because of their relationship with tool manufacturers.

hmmm I’ll order some and try out some new brushes, but I took out the brushes and they have more than 3/4 life left on them.

As far as Home Depot, I’d love to, except they’re not in stock here and would need to order it. Funny thing is I actually bought it from Amazon, with the extended warranty, but apparently they won’t fix/replace it because it’s still under the manufacturers warranty.

Weird. I would not have expected that.

Most states have anti lemon laws too, so something like the 4th time they repair or replace it, I think they are supposed to give your money back. It has been a long time since I worked retail, but that’s what I remember.

2 Likes

Well, I guess until this DeWalt thing is solved, I’m going to Home Depot to get a Makita since I need to finish my current project. Thanks for the replies Jeffe!

usualy not for something of this value it is considered a consumable.

I had noticed a very similar phenomena from the dewalt 660s on amazon. See Burning out DW660