Extruder/CANBus advice

On request from our aircraft Aircraft Inspector I am going to upgrade our MPCNC Burley to Primo. Started ordering parts for that and went down the Rabbit hole for upgrading the MP3DP v2 to V4 and ordered a board for the 3DP too, as well as some associated parts. V2 is 12volts so I wont be using the Aero Gold head and it looks like V4 has moved on to better print heads.

Questions:

1. What printhead(s) are the latest and greatest for v4? Recommendations and what stay away from.

2. CANBUS. Should I go full Monty and “all in one the build” to include CANBUS?

I maintain Flight Sims that use CANBUS so I understand the concept but not necessarily as it relates to 3DP (just started reading the forum topics).

1. I like what @probrwr Mike did with wire management and space under the build for electronics. What considerations for base height pertaining to CG and force movements. Do your builds rock and roll more with speeds and do you secure your printer to your tables?

I am trying to figure out cuts for the 2020 and I am sure I will be asking more questions as I go along.

Thanks and nice work developing the V4!

B.

3 Likes

Hello @AVSIT!

1. Ryan and most builds seemed to use E3D Hemera back when I was digging around to research how community members built their MP3DP v4. Think Ryan’s printer farm is mostly E3D Hemeras? Lately, am increasingly seeing folks use some variant of a BIQU extruder, e.g. am personally using H2 V2S Revo, thanks to @probrwr creating and sharing an adaptor.

2. For me, initial CANBus setup was PITA. However, am glad for using this build as an opportunity to learn more about CANBus, that was one of my project goals.

3. “CG” ? My electronics/psu reside within a case that added 20mm to overall height of a stock MP3DP v4 build.

If this 60 second build montage doesn’t answer all your questions :-), consider checking out https://azab2c.com/make/mp3dp-v4, can change playback rate, filter and search for details. Feedback appreciated, am trying to create what I wish already existed when doing projects like this. Hope that helps, good luck with your build!

1 Like

Thanks! I have since made a full replacement carriage for the H2. It will work for all flavors of the H@. I think it is lighter and WAY less expensive than the Hemera so that is why I went with it. I already had 2 other machines using the standard H2 so when the collab with E3D and the Revo happened that made up my mind for sure.

The adapter that @azab2c mentions works but the carriage is much better.

My electronics are housed underneath also. I added about 40mm in height to accommodate. If I am running fast the machine does move but it is relative so not issues with print quality. I used the EBB36 on mine and I am running Klipper on a M8P board with the CB1 pi card. I have tuned it with input shaping so no worries.

3 Likes

Thank you Aza B2C,

You have a lot of very good information in your videos and threads. I have most of the parts now and initially thought I was going to just start cutting and constructing but am going to use all of this info and plan the build out a bit more as I have time over the holidays to research things more.

CG was referencing if it would make the build top heavy and with the print speeds higher if there was a need to secure to the table.

1 Like

Good info, I’ll research the carriage design and your setup! Thanks.