Estlcam 12 and Marlin Post Processer (Solution)

I have learned a ton from everyone on the board over the past few years and hope that I might be able to add something back. My machine is running on a V1Engineering Skrpro 1.2 board running Marlin along with the touchscreen (I also reflashed firmware with the recent updates from github).

I have greatly enjoyed using Estlcam v11 over the past 3 years and upgraded to v12. As many have already noted, there is not a Marlin option in Estlcam v12 (yet?, fingers are crossed). I really appreciate the new tools menu and some of the other features in Estlcam 12 and I ā€œthinkā€ I may have figured out a post-processor workaround for Estlcam 12 that the works with the skrpro board.

See screenshots below for the Post-processor options that I am using.

6 Likes

How is it no one commented on this yet!!

Iā€™m going to try it today, THANKS!!!

1 Like

Hope it works for you Dusty! Iā€™ve really liked v12, especially the new bits menu.

1 Like

What machine did you build?

I recently finished an MPCNC and Iā€™ve now begun printing and milling the parts I need to start building a Lowrider 3.

1 Like

Hi,

the missing marlin preset in Version 12 is an oversight.
Iā€™ll add it again with one of the next updates.
Is there anything that should be updated - or is everything just fine the way it was in Version 11?

Christian

3 Likes

Hello Christian!

Iā€™m still a noob with CAM but as far as I can tell, everything is fine with the way you had it.

Thank you for creating such a great program! I recently did this in V11:

1 Like

I started with the MPCNC as well. Iā€™ve made a custom build now using openbuilds rails, v-wheels, etc., but Iā€™m still using the SKRPRO board, steppers, etc.

Thanks Christian!!!

I liked v11, and especially like some of the new options you have added in V12! Iā€™m looking forward to using the new origin options in the 2-sided 3d milling menu.

If I had any experience in programming, I would offer to help you build controller support for V1ā€™s Marlin boards, but alas, I do not have that skillset :frowning:

Hi,

the Marlin postprocessor is added again.
Can someone check if everything works fine?

Christian

1 Like

Thanks Christian!

I downloaded 12.045 this evening and set it up using the Marlin settings following the MPCNC instructions for V11. I imported a simple square svg and had it engrave the square. I can confirm that everything worked!

THANK YOU!

2 Likes

Total n00b here. I just got my MPCNC built last night, got motors going the right direction and drove it with repetier host. Working on trying to get estlcam working now. On the presets menu in 12.046A it looks like it goes from ā€œlewetz Step 3Sā€ to ā€œmechaplusā€, Iā€™m not seeing Marlin, am I missing something? Any help is appreciated.

Which menu are you looking in? Estlcam does not have Marlin in the controller menu. You still need to use reptier host or sdcards (what I do) to run the cuts on the machine.

Version 11 has Marlin in the CNC program presets. Where do I find Marlin in version 12? I just want to be able to output gcode to load in repetier host like version 11.

Hello,

the Marlin preset is only available in the ā€œCNC Programs / post processorā€ Dialog and in the Basic settings dialog (both do the same in this case). It configures Estlcam to output Marlin compatible g-code files.

It is not available in the CNC controller setup dialog. Estlcam cannot control Marlin hardware - you still need your Marlin compatible g-code sender.

Controlling machines directly with Estlcam is unfortunately a bit difficult as there is not much Estlcam compatible hardware available outside Germany (and it is getting less and less as modern GRBL hardware uses different processors than in the past and is no longer compatible).

It is still possible to build a nice, powerful and cheap cnc controller with just an Arduino Nano, a few jump wires and stepper drivers. If there is interest - Iā€™m planning to put more focus on tutorials now that version 12 is somewhat finished and requires less time to program.

Christian

1 Like

:white_check_mark:

If you were able to somehow make Estlcam work without a cable, youā€˜d be able to sell soooo many boards. I now have one CNC with Estlcam as the controller and one with FluidNC and Fluid just does not compare. It is missing so many features. The only thing Fluid does better is the possibility of a wireless control and the ability to natively autosquare (I do it with the OpenCNCShield2, but that is more or less a workaroundā€¦ :D). Using Estlcam for a full sheet LowRider is a bit complicated because long USB cables often donā€˜t work too well. :sweat_smile:

I also bet you might be able to collaborate with @vicious1 to create an Estlcam board that you can buy in America, or the possibility to have them manufactured somewhere else. There is no going back to GRBL after using Estlcam. :smiley: Tool changing, zeroing, working with absolute and relative coordinates are just so much easier.

Hello Philipp,

the Estlcam hardware designs are open - here for example are the schematics for the terminal adapter: https://www.estlcam.de/downloads/KA_Schematic.pdf
If anyone wants to manufacture and sell Estlcam compatible hardware Iā€™m actually quite happy about it as Iā€™m more the software guy and donā€™t sell hardware outside Germany anyways (bureaucratic reasons and lack of time).

A wireless version is something that is in principle already possible:

• Estlcam uses a virtual COM port for serial communication.
  • It does not care if this COM port is tunneled through USB, LAN, WLAN, Bluetooth or whatever.
  • It just needs to be ā€œtransparentā€ and behave like a real, legacy hardware COM port, keep latencies within a reasonable range and support a speed of 1MBaud.
  • As far as I know ESP8266 modules in combination with ESPLink firmware are able to do this, so replacing the FT230XS in my base design with something like this should do the trick.

However: Iā€™m very low on spare time. Nice if someone develops something like this and in theory it should be possible without any input or changes from my side, but this is also the catch: I wonā€™t be able to spend much time helping with projects like this.

Edit: the most simple way for proof of concept without spending time and money for hardware designs is to use an Arduino Nano or UNO, remove its FT232 and instead hook the Rx and Tx lines up to the wireless module.

Christian

1 Like

Cool, that sounds pretty great. I myself am not a hardware guy, but I am going to shoot Timoā€˜s Werkstatt the idea. :slight_smile: