Error uploading gcode files via Jackpot+FluidNC webUI

On the others that do not work. If you are using a windows machine try a FULL FORMAT. Make sure you uncheck quick format. It will take substantially longer, but it usually cures alot of problems.

2 Likes

So I got the new SD card. It’s not flawless, but it’s usable:

8GB Class 4 Micro SD. I did a full format on Windows to FAT32, using 4kB allocation unit size. It seems like the network may still be producing some kind of interference, because 1/3 of the time the file upload will fail, but 2/3 of the time it goes quick and works. And now, even when it fails, it doesn’t give me the “sd_init_failed” error that requires restarting the controller.

So I guess I’ll call that good enough!

I had similar problems - one day the SD card was read, next day an error. Happened on multiple cards, 4 gig old and slow, 32 gig new and faster (class 10’s).

So I just flashed the firmware to 3.7.12. All is now well. The old & slow as well as the new and fast - no errors. Swapped back and forth with no issues.

2 Likes

I have the same problem with files not uploading to the SD. Real pain if starting out and needing lots of program/code changes. Machine works 100% except the upload over wifi to the SD card. I am running 3.7.12 so that version did not help with uploading problem. Tried four different SD cards including the one I just purchased/received today that suggested by Ryan. I tried the formatter program suggested in another post with no luck. The Class 4 seemed like at good suggestion but no luck. I notice during upload my connection to the Fluid NC would drop out.

So I just decided to remove the ESP and plug it in my Windows computer to update to 3.7.14 (does not want to update over Wifi) and also upgrade to the new UI. It works! with the Class 4 SD card and then I tried a Class 10 SD card! Hopefully this one more problem down. Maybe updating over Wifi works now but. I will wait until 3.7.15. Hopefully this helps someone else.

Brian

I highly suggest moving the card manually. If the file fails, you still get a partial file and no error. So you could get a few hours into your program and find out it is missing something.

FYI – I just took the dive into Raspberry Pi + CNC.js. I have only made a couple cuts with it so I don’t have a full review of the process, but I’m extremely happy with it, and it eliminates the SD card problems.

If I understand it – CNC.js is what’s holding onto the file (on the Raspberry Pi), and it streams the g-code to the Jackpot during a job, which it sees as a regular GRBL 1.1 controller. In this setup, the whole FluidNC/SD card thing is bypassed, the Raspberry Pi OS now handles the file stuff reliably because it’s a modern OS.

Besides working around the SD card issue, CNC.js is just a better system. Jackpot+ESP32+FluidNC is actually really neat from a tech perspective, that you can get all that capability into such a small form factor for $60. But it’s just too minimal. And I’m a software guy, so I didn’t find it too hard to setup a Raspberry Pi with CNC.js. If nothing else, being able to jog the machine with the keyboard arrows is worth the switch :slight_smile:

The other side of that is all the functionality we get for less, as compared to the Marlin setup, with having to add another board.

This is a tough balance. We can always add more, spend more. The balance is finding what is needed.

Give the file uploading some time, the webui V3 is in beta release and might help a lot (STA mode vs AP mode also plays a part). Other than that, move the file by hand, start the file it works great, and we get a full terminal, easy macros, wireless control, gcode visualizer, firmware settings changes all from any web enabled device.

I feel like this is such a giant step forward from Marlin, but this file thing keeps coming up like it is a deal breaker?

Until we are doing CAM on the board I will never really see the need to wirelessly transfer a file as a necessity, I have two cards, one is always in the machine and one is always at the CAD station.

With that said, I have not used cnc.js in a while and not sure what I could be missing.

1 Like

If you do use wifi file transfer (and I do) its always good to compare the size of the sent and received files to make sure they match.

1 Like

Maybe I’m biased, but I am infinitely annoyed by manually moving files via SD card. I’m always losing the cards or they’re not where I expect them to be when I need them, having to insert them the right way, manage files on them, etc. I haven’t had to use an SD card for printing in the past two years and I don’t miss it. I have to be on a regular computer anyway to do the CAM, why can’t I just upload the files directly from there to the controller (or Raspberry Pi) and skip all that fiddly-ness? Others may not mind, but I do.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m impressed with what is available on the Jackpot + ESP32 (as mentioned in my last post). I think it’s awesome for a budget-conscious build. But it was too easy to sidestep a bunch of limitations of that solution with a more-professional solution, and I didn’t mind investing the time and money to setup an RPi with it. I appreciate that the Jackpot can act as a GRBL controller, and comes with the firmware to do things like dual-endstops. So the board still has value to me even if I’m not using FluidNC.

I haven’t used CNC.js a ton yet, but I no longer have any file issues, I love keyboard jogging (is that avail in FluidNC?) and setting up macros/commands is soooo much easier. Admittedly though, I did have to do that thing with where I snip the red wire in the USB cable to prevent the RPi from powering the Jackpot when the Jackpot power is off. That was really confusing at first, but the fix was unexpectedly easy (albeit janky).

Yes

WebUi V3 lets you make them and chose an icon for them right on the page. V3 is currently available, and theme-able as well.

I will make the file transfer the next priority after making sure v3 of the UI is solid.

3 Likes

I wish we knew what the problem is for those having trouble transferring files wirelessly on the Jackpot. I have only used STA wifi to transfer and control both of my Jackpots. There were to things early on that were recommended to help with the wifi. A static IP address and Disabling Sta/SSDP/Enable.

Some have no issues others can’t get it to work, could also be browser related, the wifi chain is way more complicated than I thought.

Things do change some with the V3 UI so it is best to make sure that is fully working before much time is spent working on connection stuff. I need to setup a V3 starter file set so we are all on the same page for testing. I was expecting FluidNC to have had another update by now, but it hasn’t so I will put that on my list.

2 Likes

I have this issue also. Updated to UI v3. Currently reformatting my card and have also ordered the recommended card linked above.

@vicious1 Are you using a different case for your jackpot? There is no way I can pop the SD card in and out without having to remove the board from the case. Maybe I need to spin the board around.

Bingo

1 Like

Doh! Haha :wink:

1 Like

Since updating chrome (I think) I’m having the issue described here:

caused apparently by the browser sending multiple simultaneous commands.

Mitch points to a fixed webui - my question is how do I update my jackpot to use it?

Answering my own question for future searchers:

Click on the ‘Browse files’ button on the github page
Click the ‘Code’ button and choose download Zip
Extract the zip file
Go to the FluidNC settings tab
Delete the existing index.html.gz to make enough room
upload the new indenx.html.gz file
reboot your Jackpot

1 Like

@Dreyfus and others…

I downloaded FluidNC just now, from the Main branch, and there are two index.html.gz files that both show the same file date of Feb 28, 2024. One index.html.gz is in the “data” folder and is 117 kb, and another index.html.gz is in a “data3” folder and is 83 kb. I’m about to fire up my LowRider and try to find out which is which. I’m assuming one is v2 and one is v3? If not, where are you all getting WebUI v3 from?

EDIT: never mind. I see that I can get WebUI v3 with 3.7.14 version by going to https://installer.fluidnc.com