DWP611 for MPCNC?

Long time occasional stalker here, but only just joined. I think I’m getting close to taking the plunge into building an MPCNC now that my 3D printer and workshop are in better order, but now I have a dilemma:

My work is offering me some gift options, and one of them is a DWP611. I don’t currently own a router at all, so this is tempting, but my original plan was to just purchase a 660 to use both on the MPCNC and for general woodworking use. I’ve read that the 661 is not recommended for MPCNC because it’s heavier and puts more torque on the mounts/rails.

I guess my question is, while using the DWP611 is not an ideal fit, would it still be a feasible option for a build? Has this been done before, and what are the limitations? I imagine I would need to run slower cuts and might have issues with cutting something more than wood, but that would be an ok trade off for now… I could always buy a 2nd router (660) down the road and rebuild if I find I am putting the MPCNC to good use.

Additionally, would modifying the mount be an ordeal? If someone has done this, then STLs would be awesome, but I also don’t have issues with 3D modeling either - I’m a mechanical engineer, so I could do it, but I’m also a new-ish dad, so free time is limited as well… so science projects aren’t as much of an option as they used to be.

Thanks!

Michael

I use one on my mpcnc, it’s fine, there’s a nice quick release mount still already on thingiverse. It’s great as a general purpose router too! I think you would lose a little working area as it takes up more space, but it will be fine, heck I remember a thread late last year with someone using the 618 on the mpcnc.

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks, that’s better than I was hoping for. Would you happen to have a link to the quick release that you’re using? When I searched earlier today I only found ones that didn’t look like they interfaced with the default parts, though I could be easily mistaken… still trying to come back up to speed with how everything goes together and which revision is which.

bump

I use the 660, so can’t say anything on comparisons.

A quick search and it looks like there are a few options, depending version, and some accessories https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=dwp611&dwh=365cc73b8b0b7bf

Also, not sure if you saw that Ryan sells a Collet for the 611