Dipping my toes in klipper

I have my old 3d printer still sitting in the shop doing nothing. I figure what better way of playing with new software/firmware than with a printer that I know at least prints.

I ordered a Bigtreetech Manta M8, CB1, 8 stepper drivers, and a 7" screen from the bigtreetech site. It’s all coming from China, so it will be a bit before it arrives.

I’ll document my struggles here. This weekend I’ll work on tearing down the existing printer’s electronics while waiting for epoxy to dry on the kayak.

I’m also going to re-install the 3d printed core back on my mp3dpv4 in case I need to 3d print something for the smaller printer.

Wish me luck.

If I can get it working on the smaller printer, then I’ll probably end up installing the setup onto the larger printer and moving the skr back to the older printer.

3 Likes

So far my toes are in a bit farther than your but not by much. I am liking what I see, I did have a couple hiccups though. Following along to see if I can offer any help if you hit the same snags.

My advice is, if you get stuck at all post the question here. I suffered for a couple hours and should not have wasted that time. I got help here super fast.

4 Likes

Yeah. It was your post with your issues that made me decide to try it out. It looks like we have some fairly knowledgeable people on this board using it already.

I’m not quite ready to try canbus or an acceleration board on the hotend. But this will get me started.

1 Like

Grabbing some notes for me to use when the hardware gets here…

Potential Chamber Heater setup:

Hopefully a good ‘getting started’ guide.

2 Likes

As usual, my ‘little update’ turned into a bit more. I picked up a micro probe and H2 v2s to update the older printer with too.

2 Likes

May as well while your at it lol

you get a can-bus module and a smart filament sensor too?

1 Like

not going down the canbus rabbit hole yet… filament sensor may be added after I get it working as it is something I would like.

The micro probe came in today. It truly is micro…

potential micro probe config

1 Like

Here is where I am at with that so far.

######################## BIQU Microprobe ########################

[gcode_macro PROBE_DOWN]

gcode:

SET_PIN PIN=probe_enable VALUE=1

[gcode_macro PROBE_UP]

gcode:

SET_PIN PIN=probe_enable VALUE=0

[output_pin probe_enable]

pin: PA1 # Servo/control pin

value: 0

[probe]

pin: ^!PA2 # trigger pin

deactivate_on_each_sample: false

x_offset: 7 # Change the probe offsets to meet your machine requirements.

y_offset: -24

z_offset: .2

speed: 4

lift_speed: 3

samples: 2

sample_retract_dist: 6

samples_tolerance: 0.05

samples_tolerance_retries: 3

activate_gcode:

PROBE_DOWN

G4 P500

deactivate_gcode:

PROBE_UP

### Z Safe Home ###

[safe_z_home]

home_xy_position: 150, 150

speed: 45

#z_hop: 10

#z_hop_speed: 20
1 Like

don’t forget to switch over to danger-klipper.

Filament sensor is stupid easy with klipper. I tried for damn near a month to get it to work with marlin before and never could get it. I have them on all my printers now

1 Like

wait… what???

What’s danger-klipper?

glad to hear it on the filament sensor. I never even bothered on the current build because I do all my printing from octoprint. There’s plenty of sensor plugins for it, but I hate trying to plug into the pins on those boards.

I’d like the ability to be able to pause on jams if the filament stops moving through the sensor.

1 Like

Yeah the BTT sensor does real good. And with klipper you can use both functions of the v2 sensor. I have one right on top of the extruder on the v4 and it works great!

1 Like

Also quite curious about this lol

Dang it. Just realized the Biqu H2 is 24v. My current setup (heatbed and hotend) are 12v.

I guess I need a 24v PS and will need to get a voltage regulator to choke down the heatbed.

No. I don’t want to get a 24v heatbed. Not yet at least.

Don’t bother. When the time comes to change it go for a mains heater. You’ll be glad you did!

This is a fairly small 220x220 heatbed. with the glass bed on top, there’s only about 200x200 of print space. Not sure it needs mains power for the smaller surface.

1 Like

Roger that. Didn’t realize it was that small. 24v would be great for that.