Design advice for layered lamp

Hi guys,

Pinterest showed me this lamp and I think on how I could do it with my mpcnc

https://www.theinteriordesign.it/en/project/ovo-vase/644

I like the middle one and currently I think how I should build the model

• without designing every layer individually
  • with a continuous flow of the edge from one layer to the other

Is there a smart way to design this? All one one file.or individual files?

I thought about connecting the layers with shelf pins. So I would also need a method for.creazing.the holes in a way that the outsides line up correctly

A loft would work very well for this design. You would need to make height a multiple of the material thickness. So if your lamp was 20 slices each 12mm thick, you would make the lofted design 240mm. When you want to slice it up, you can use Rectangular Pattern to create an array of lines. These lines can then be used with Split Body to cut the figure into slices.

• with a continuous flow of the edge from one layer to the other

Depending on how smooth you want the transition, this might be a problem creating the subtle bevels and overhangs with the CNC machine. If it were me, I’d do a contour cut of each piece, then I’d temporarily assemble the pieces, and then sand the final contours to create the smooth flow.

Here is a 5 minute Fusion 360 example file. You can walk the history to see how it was made.SlicedLamp.zip (414.7 KB)

Note I only used a beginning and ending pattern for the loft, you could also create a more organic shape by having intermediate pattern(s) as well.

3 Likes

BIG thank you :slight_smile:
This is awesome, i will look into it and try to understand your approach. I will be back :smiley:

@MartinSR have you checked out Slicer for Fusion 360? Unfortunately it looks like it is no longer supported but you can download it here to see it will work for you. I’m still building my machine so I haven’t gotten around to playing with it myself.