Der Froschkönig - Lowrider 3 in Oldenburg, Germany

Thanks a bunch, gonna watch that later. I copied this one Schlagwerk 60P82 Schlitztrommel – Musikhaus Thomann, which is tuned in F. So it should be pretty close I hope. :smiley:

Actually watching it now, really interesting. Thanks.

2 Likes

Man, there are hundreds of videos. I didn’t know the English name and in German there aren’t too many hits. Duh. :smiley:

1 Like

Maple and purple heart. And the pencil cases you know now… :yum: Changed the toolpaths so I could cut it using only a 6mm endmill except the two holes for the magnets and the last bit of the inlay.

The “t” splintered a bit, using the planer against the grain was optimistic, but I never thought about it when creating the inlay. Luckily I have enough maple dust to fill that gap. :smile:

The good news: the LR is square, or the inlay would not fit. I more or less believed in my ability to measure the stop blocks right and eyeballed the squareness. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

And the video regarding the whole “Why are my cuts inaccurate?” odyssey…:

4 Likes

Yes, i watched that video,.
Thanks for posting that, for a newbie videos like that are super helpful.

2 Likes

@bitingmidge It’s nearly done, thanks for the video. I found another video by Get Hands Dirty that was pretty great.

First sneak peak of mine:

9 Likes

Damm it dude, is there anything you cant do?

LOL
well done!

I guess, I just don’t see the limits and just try. :smile: Tuning it didn’t work too well either. :yum:

1 Like

I should have a Leviathan box waiting for me at the FLHS this weekend. My first 40K purchase was weeks before 5th ed was released. Damned GW store employee let me buy the 4th ed rules, Space Marine codex, etc. with 5th ed right around the corner…

I had the same thing happen with Vampires. Had to buy two Codexes (Codi? Codexi?) in a few weeks… I had also bought the Magic Box that you didn’t need any more a few weeks later. I sold the army for 120€ a few weeks back since I hadn’t touched it for at least 20 years. I only kept my Vampire Count as a reminder. :frowning:

1 Like

Still have large piles of grey, but I have great hope and motivation to work on actually doing something with it all…

1 Like

Both forms are acceptable.

Not uploading the tongue drum as a thing I’ve made yet, since I am still waiting for my TPU to print some feet. I also want to have the video ready when posting, but I could not wait to show it off. :smiley: Don’t mind the pattern of the tablecloth, this is my parents’ garden. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do plan to change a few things the next time I’m going to build one, but you always have to learn with the first try I suppose. :smiley:

9 Likes

@Tokoloshe , looking good! Did you try to size each tongue to a specific frequency? I’d like to eventually make one of these (and some of your other instruments :grin:) for my wife’s school but was wondering the best way to generate an actual scale instead of more random notes. I probably need to do some research.

I copied one of the Schlagwerk drums with an F pentatonic. Depending on wood and thickness the notes vary a bit, but you can tune then with a forstner bit. Drill a hole in the tip, higher tone, drill at the end, lower tone. Get hands dirty has got a pretty great build log with some good tips, like bolstering the side walls.

The size of the tongues does not seem to matter much of you don’t care about the exact starting tone. As long as you make them a different size. You see a lot that gradually increase the size on one side, then the other, Schlagwerk goes from left to right though so it’s easier to play the scale, because you are using two sticks that obviously should alternate between left and right hand.

I hope that makes sense. :smile:

I can upload the dxf when I’m at home again, I did cut it with a 6mm but the kerfs are too wide so I reduced then to 4mm in the new version I didn’t cut yet.

2 Likes

Yeah, I also watched the video you previously posted so I have a good idea what you’re talking about. Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

Look at those smooth cuts! Look at them! No sanding involved, just after cutting.

So sexy. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

:drooling_face:

oh yeah!

3 Likes

Very nice !! Is that like full 19mm ply ?
Cwispy

2 Likes

18mm beech ply. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes