Der Froschkönig - Lowrider 3 in Oldenburg, Germany

Thanks Jeff, precise as always. :slight_smile: I wasn’t sure about the force, and you get paranoid after nearly reworking the whole LR and then having the same problem… -_-

I am really relieved I found the problem being the diamond endmill (Sorotec Online-Shop - Werkzeuge) that I always used with the Primo, because Zenziwerken exclusively uses it for plywood and it always worked great.
The LR makes different sounds than the Primo whenn the RPM are not high enough, hence I did not figure that my RPM are too low and I never even thought that this could result in those problems. I am going to try this evening with max RPM and work my way down, the same I did with the Primo back in the days, since normally the finish with the diamond endmills is much nicer in plywood than “normal” endmills because it does not tear up the top layer (I say normally, because my pictures say something else… :D).
Cheers for all your help!

5 Likes

I don’t want to rub it in, but that endmill honestly looks very unusual! I would think sideways cutting and chip clearance is worse than on the standard single flute mills. Perhaps your Primo was so solid that the endmills different characteristics didn’t matter?

1 Like

A lot of people are using them especially for ply- and balsawood, because it doesn’t tear out. I will see how it goes later with higher rpm.

1 Like

Previously I had only seen these used for things like Carbon Fiber, with water. Meaning, it grinds or sands it’s way through very slowly. If you are going to use this with wood I would suggest trichodial or a large finishing pass. Slowly to decrease load.

To avoid tear out you can use a compression bit for both sides (and a full depth cut), or an upcut or down cut depending on the face you are worried about. The other thing is a roughing and two finishing passes. The key is the size of the chip evacuation route. If the chip can not get out of the way before the next cutter face you will recut chips and dramatically increase the load. I think a simplified version of that endmill is sandpaper, vs a single flute being a sharp chisel or plane.

3 Likes

As I said: I’ve nearly exclusively used them for the last two years, have to do some testing what the issue is with them now. :sweat_smile:

They are actually really awesome if done right.

1 Like

Okay, the testing has concluded for now:
From left to right:

• 1-flute, low RPM, best results in that wood, very clear cut.
  • Old Diamond bit that I used before, full RPM, a lot of tearout, not really great, but not as bad as before either.
  • New Diamond bit, nearly max RPM (but not completely), cleaner cuts, better fit, but not as good as the 1-flute.

The aftermath of all the tests and the tears that were shed… :smiley:

What I learned is that I should maybe use a 1-flute. I never bothered to try that because the results were always good to great and it is what Zenziwerken uses, I cut stuff from him first. I am now going to order a few 1-flute. :smiley:

Thanks for all the help, I learned something. And even if it wasn’t the core’s fault completely, I am glad that I reprinted it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That is a lot of test cuts !!
Glad you have something that is working now. Was neat following along.

1 Like

You’re so close to having an Idex now?

1 Like

No, nope, never. That would mean software. Using the wrong one, can’t code to save my life. Interactive PDFs and other fancy stuff with LaTeX is what I can do, after that it becomes uncharted territory. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

If you can do that, no wonder you can work with raw gcode… I do write software for a living, and LaTeX is something I’ve only dabbled with, for good reason. Usually because I wanted a document with the aesthetic of old Slackware manuals…

1 Like

I bet you will find with a highly tuned single flute it will 3-5x the performance. As in 5x faster at the same resolution. You can always rough with a single flute fast and grind with that bit to your finish tolerance. That should increase it’s performance considerably. (In production I am cutting 20mm/s 13mm deep in one pass in MDF).

I love all the tests!!! Make sure you test different RPM as well. For my production cuts I am running my routers a click or two up from minimum RPM. The single flute can take a large bite.

4 Likes

That’s what did the trick in the end. I used to cut with higher RPM but dialed it down when cutting other stuff like the earrings and completely forgot that they have to be higher for the diamond endmills. What really sells the 1-flute is the lower speeds. :slight_smile:

I am still planning to experiment with the other plywood I usually use (beech), but I think the results are pretty clear. I also used a 2-flute for the grid for the vaccuum, that went quite well. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all the help! I really feel my 1.19€ a month are well invested! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

1 Like

1-flute gang, here I come!

4 Likes

You are a meticulous and stubborn guy!! I’m impressed!! :smile:

2 Likes

New updates for my firmware:

• removed the configuration variable “DRIVE_FROM_ENDSTOP_AFTER_AUTOSQUARE” since this can now be controlled individually for every motor
  • added configuration for every autosquare motor to define the drive back distance after autosquaring

I can now be as cool as you and use the software to do some of the squaring and don’t have to bend microswitches by 0.3mm. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Prototype of a life counter, it’s got magnets!! :smiley:

Life Counter(1)

10 Likes

Nice! What game?

1 Like

Oh that is cool! I just bought small white board for keeping score. That is way better.

2 Likes

MTG (or any other game where you have to count life).
I plan to add a version for Gloomhaven, but that would need outside counters with life and mana. :smiley:

1 Like

All the versions I found I didn’t like, because I wanted them to “snap” to the numbers, but most are just round. The ones that do snap only turn in one direction. It does need a lot of magnets, but I got 1000 for 10€. :stuck_out_tongue:
I added a magnet more to the final version and made the middle turning thingy larger, gotta see how that works out.

2 Likes