Cutting acrylic panels for MP3DP

Always check his crazy(awesome) amounts of detailed documentation…

2 Likes

I wonder if one of those offset tip bits would work better for acrylic. The tip of the regular V bit doesn’t cut anything. The offset ones has the very tip off to one side, so it effectively has a flat bottom. But the whole thing is at least cutting something.

4 Likes

Do you have a link to an example? Not sure I’ve ever seen one like that before. I ordered one with a “blunt” tip that will be here tomorrow. Curious to see how that’s going to work.

2 Likes

I always forget about his github :man_facepalming: Thank you!!

1 Like

Somewhere there is an OpenScad file for this… :smiley:

I‘ve got you:

3 Likes

Thanks @Michael_Melancon and @Tokoloshe !

Yeah, initially shared vac hose adaptor am using (based on a parametric SCAD script) in my LR3 Build post.

Just uploaded current version to printables incase people aren’t stumbling across my semi structured v1e mods/notes repo on github.

Latest files (this Vac Hose and the Bowflex nonsense for example) will always be on GitHub here. Am only occasionally uploading to Printables. Am always backing up my v1e notes/mods to github, effort I put into structuring content will be proportional to interest from folks.

Time to try some more BowFlex assisted Acrylic cuts…

1 Like

I just went though your github and grabbed a few things and started the printer lol…

1 Like

LOL, good luck! Note the Vac Hose adapter was sized for one of Doug’s makita-vac-upper…stl models. Just added inner/outer dimensions to the printables description to help save some time/filament incase this isn’t a good fit for your Vac Hose and/or upper thingy… Printables

1 Like

I think the github approach is great. I’ve been telling myself for a months I need to do something to organize my thoughts and save the things I’ve come across, etc. for all the things I’m researching/planning, but never really thought about using github for this. So you’ve inspired me to do something similar and try to be more organized about it

2 Likes

That is what I’m running on both of my LR3s so should be good to go!

2 Likes

While this is on my brain. I have an update for you for this if you want it.

Quality - Great
Material - Aluminum
Bit - Carbide Single Flute Long – V1 Engineering Inc
DOC - 7mm (that’s what I have tested to but I think it could easily go more)
Plunge Angle - 90°
Feed XY - 20mm/s
Feed Z - 4mm/s
Speed - ?? See Above??
Coolant - 25psi air with just a hint of IPA
Notes - Trochoidal Milling: Stepover 10% Width: 50% Oscillation: 0
https://youtu.be/wTbvzWy-f1o

2 Likes

Thanks for the info @Jonathjon. Have added to https://github.com/aaronse/v1engineering-mods/tree/main/lowrider3

Quality Material Bit DOC Plunge Angle Feed XY Feed Z Speed Coolant Notes / Source
Alu V1E 1/8" Carbide single flute 7mm 90deg 20mm/s 4mm/s RPM? 25psi air + hint of IPA Trochoidal Milling: Stepover 10% Width: 50% Oscillation: 0
https://youtu.be/wTbvzWy-f1o

Cheers!

1 Like

NOW I realize what you meant by speed LOL… 12,000 - 15,000 RPM

Quick update… Thank you @jeffeb3’s and @vicious1’s, your settings wisdom and offset tip engraving bit suggestions, they helped guide me to better results. Ended up not needing the Bowflex Dumbbells, for now.

Vertical test lines on the right were created using 1/8" 60deg engraving v-bit, then going over again with 1/4" v-bit helps get wide v cuts. This was with the 4 flute 1/4" v-bit I have already. Hoping the arriving 2 flute v bit and curved bits will do even better.

Seeing pear drop like deeper holes near where the bit plunges at beginning of a path, still need to tune Z feedrate, depth of finish pass, maybe other settings too?

That looks WAY better!!! Good job!!! What DOC and Feed Rate did you settle on? Also what speed on your router?

Thanks Jonathan. Was going to hold off from sharing details until am happy with the cuts. Incase this helps, am currently using…

But not ideal, the chips are not clearing, but then I didn’t bother to rig up compressed air or cooling other than a Vac without a shroud, or decent suction. Still tinkering, when not doing other things I should be focused on :roll_eyes:

Using this 1/8" V bit 60 Degree Engraving Bit, with offset point (like Jeff suggested) for initial carve to get desired depth…

Note, am still learning about edge lit stuff, doesn’t look like deep carves are a good idea anyway?

3 Likes

My bad. I was just curious as they looked good. better than anything you or i have seen so far LOL

Ahh ok now i get what he was saying. I don’t currently have anything like that in my arsenal. Might have to do some more amazon shopping LOL. Going to wait and see how these blunt tip ones do first.

Best thing I did was rig up my mist coolant setup on one of @DougJoseph Kinematic mounts. So easy to slap up there. I leave the 8mm tubing in the beam with the wiring and vac hose ready to go for when i need it. Tomorrow I’m going to see how well polycarbonate and IPA play together. Will be sure to post results.

You might be on to something here. I bet the deeper you go the more light gets taken up by the first thing it hits. Until now all of my experience with edge lit was using a diamond drag bit which only scratches the surface and it get lit up very well. So with that I’m going to try to limit my v carve depth to 1mm maybe even .5mm and see what kind of difference that makes.

3 Likes

Well tried one of the new bits I got. :poop: is all I can say

But I will say that trochoidal milling at full depth on 1/2” acrylic does really well!!

Those look like decent chips to me for acrylic

6 Likes

Finished product

And with a little edge flash lighting lol

6 Likes

Dang, you are a machine. You get a lot done in between voyages. I still have not even made my new table yet. Or rebuilt the LR with some fancy plates.

Yeah that looks really good, like perfect. Might want to share your settings. Seems pretty perfect.

3 Likes