Custom LR3 Strut Contest

3 Likes

Throwing my own two cents in… How bad would it be to change the last couple of V1 icons into F/A-18’s (in profile?), with a big ol’ C-130 angling up into that “white space”?

Get all historical, and put in some historical profiles (at least major airframes): F-6, F-9, F-11, F-4, A-4…

2 Likes

Also remember that I’m not specifically looking for a “fat albert” design. I just gave that as an option :sunglasses:

1 Like

I assume you have some sort of connection with 1) the Blue Angels, 2) C-130’s, or 3) Navy/Marine Aviators… Or you have a yellow and blue LR3, and are not a big fan of UMich.

Interesting, it gives individual numbers…I think that is even better. Cool thanks for trying it out, and running a contest.

Might want to post it to all the socials, FB for sure, reddit, discord, any others. I can bump or repost if needed. None of my socials are very big but everything helps right?

3 Likes

Dropped it on Twitter/X for ya,

https://twitter.com/V1Engineering/status/1689677392212852736?s=20

2 Likes

I promise your socials are WAY bigger than any of mine LOL. If I posted it to my facebook all i would get is “what’s that” “why do you need that” “huh???” LOL

Awesome!!! Thank you!!!

Ill go post it on the V1 facebook group…didn’t think about that one till now.

Any way to make it sticky at the top so people will always see it when they come to the forum??

1 Like

My wife picked the colors for this machine. It wasn’t an intent but when it was finished one of my kids said “Looks good Blue Angles Colors” and that’s when the nick name “Fat Albert” came about since it was a large machine. We live Just north of Pensacola, FL where the Blue Angels are stationed so a lot of things around here ties to them.

That’s why I gave the option. If you want to make it tie in with that go for it. But since it was not purpose built to reflect that I’m good with the design having nothing to do with it as well.

3 Likes

Blue & Yellow + Pensacola = Fat Albert. Perfect! I get it. Grew up near the Gulf, sailed into and around Pensacola a few times (as part of the Mobile-Pensacola race).

1 Like

I am not a designer at all, but I do like the idea of the logos like the planes if you want to stick with the Blue Angels theme.

Except maybe place them in one of the common Blue Angels formations with Fat Albert:

Maybe incorporate the the Star logo at the center, with some type of multi-layered milling for the effect…

I started to make a design for it…but then I remembered that I suck at making what I see in my head come out on the computer…

So maybe someone else can take the idea and run with it.

I like the idea of the front plate being subtly Blue Angel themed through symbols, but not directly lettered onto it, then FAT ALBERT big across your back plate or something like that…

So not an entry…but I like the idea and will be watching to see what cool stuff comes out of the contest.

7 Likes

Don’t be afraid to give it a shot and learn something in the process. Ask all the questions you need! Always good to learn a new skill!!

3 Likes

I may have an “uncommon” idea, but it involves making the struts out of corian rather than aluminium, does it count as a valid entry?

5 Likes

I love that idea. Except I don’t have any Corian and I’ve already spent a bunch of money on Aluminum long enough to make these struts. Any design you make for Corian should look good in aluminum as well.

3 Likes

Maybe you shouldn’t be spending all your money on fancy V1 gift cards! :slight_smile:

1 Like

LOL!!! See I don’t see that as spending money on gift cards. I see that as paying for an awesome strut design :sunglasses:

Gift cards or not after spending $280 for a 4’ x 5’ piece of 1/4" Aluminum these struts are going to be aluminum if I have to go with the same thing I already have LOL

3 Likes

My entry is going to just be a rectangle so you don’t mess up that expensive aluminum :slight_smile:

Just make sure the one for the bottom has 2 10mm wide groves in it to run my undermount LEDs LOL

You have a great entry, but may I suggest an improvement before the deadline?

As I recently had pointed out to me, the X axis belt obscures a strip of the front strut, and any wording on there is best placed / arranged in a way that accommodates the belt, so the words are not obscured by it and not made harder to read.

3 Likes

Sssssh, that knowledge was supposed to be my secret weapon. I’m never telling you anything again… :smiling_face_with_tear::joy:

1 Like