Cross talking steppers/endstops

So I just reworked my MPCNC (lowered build height and while at it printed the new feets). I also attached endstops to it, although I still don’t understand the advantage of this.

Yes, I do run powered endstops. I have none of those 2-wires, non-powered endstops around.

Not really suprising, I now experience cross-talking on the wires. Estlcam tells me my endstops are triggering all the time, although my endstops are not even connected @ramps (but the cables are connected at the endstops)

As you can see in the picture, I have unshielded cables for both steppers and the endstops, running through the conduit and also through the drag chains (I know…). Cables are also about 2-3m long :). Will pull the plug on the endstop next and check if Estlcam still reports triggered endstops (when endstops are NOT hit).

Its strange because Repetier (when using the latest dual-endstop firmware) never shows a false triggered endstop.

As I said, I don’t really understand how endstops are helping for the MPCNC here at all (yes, I have read the related blogging article and also saw the video - serveral times), so another option is to just remove the endstops. I’m fairly certain I can get this machine squared. If anything, I would like to have endstops to have a defined zero/homing position, not for making the machine square.

Whats your take on this? Ever experienced cable noise? Any suggestions (other than: replace cables with shielded ones, remove endstops, or something like this https://hackaday.com/2014/03/07/solving-endstop-woes-with-a-simple-analog-filter/)?

Do you have them wired Normally closed?

Have a look at the the instructions page. What is the output of m119? What is it if you hold an endstop closed?

I think the switches are NC, yes. Had to reverse this behavior in your firmware

[quote]// Mechanical endstop with COM to ground and NC to Signal uses “false” here (most common setup).
#define X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING […][/quote]

and verified that with m119.

M119 shows “open” for all endstops when they are not hit, and “triggered” when one (or several) endstops are hit.

Removed endstops.

Didn’t bother much with squaring (only checked with a ruler X and Y axis are somewhat squarish), cutted a 50x50mm piece out of a sheet of AlCuMgPb, measured 50.0x50.0mm.

There’s nothing more to add to this topic actually. Just MPCNC things.

1 Like