Further iterating on the connectors. I’m keeping the clamping feet for the lower end of the legs but going in a different direction for 2x and 3x connectors. I’m epoxying a plug with captive nut inside the pipe and then screwing them on to the connector.
Now I need to write a small script to generate the appropriate azimuth+elevation given my desired corner locations. Finding the angle between points is simple, but because the pipes have non-zero diameter and have to be moved outward to accommodate the central mounting screw the angle has to be adjusted to accommodate. I also need it to spit out the pipe segment lengths so I can cut them correctly.
I did some work the past few days on a Perl script to do the work described above. I have a few off-by-N errors to chase down where things don’t end up exactly where expected, but I am able to make things like this by just giving the script a series of XYZ coordinates to join together:
After a near disaster where I was generating a frame for the wrong size machine (I had changed the configured rail lengths at some point so my frame would have been too small) I got the corner pieces printed, measured and cut the EMT, and epoxied captive nuts into both ends.
My tubing cutter didn’t make all of the ends square so I want to contrive some way of evening them up before assembly. I can’t assemble it now anyways since I want to give the epoxy a chance to really set before stressing it.