Copycat

Thanks to @srcnet for the inspiration and the tip for the puzzle generator, here is my version:

Unfortunately, while these pieces look like a good fit, they required pounding to get them together. I tried some tests first, but apparently the tests didn’t carry over to the final pieces.

I need more refinement to the procedure. But it looks nice.

11 Likes

Nice!

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Adding a 1/8" round over to both sides might help with the fitment. That’s what is on mine if you like the look.

5 Likes

You can also lie about the tool size to get a better fit.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I did. Actual size (1/8") was too tight, 1 mm undersize (diameter) on the bit removes 0.5 mm extra material around the perimeter and it was loose.

But the 1mm undersize pieces fit well with the actual size pieces, so removing 0.5 (diameter) should have been just right. But then I also changed to a different thickness of material, so maybe that was part of it?

Also had some difficulty getting the stock flat (which I think was unrelated to the fit). I need a sled + shims for the thickness planer or just use the CNC to flatten the boards.

1 Like

If you dont have time to do it right, you always have time to do it again.

The fit is about right, maybe could be 0.1 or 0.05 tighter but I’m happy with this. Tighter than a scroll saw.

Also the pieces are flat this time.

9 Likes