Clamping solution?

I am building a 610x610mm usable working area MPCNC.

I am looking at different clamping solutions.

T-tracks? V-groove? Holes?

What do you perfer? And why?

If you have pictures of your clamping solution, please do share.

I have T nuts in my MPCNC and tracks in my LR3.

The tracks are a little nicer for flexibility in holding down stock of unusual sizes, but I have no real trouble with the T nuts. I will sometimes just screw stuff down to the spoilboard, too.

1 Like

I use an array of t-nuts as well. I have a 2 piece design where the t-nuts are installed on the underside of the bottom board and the top board is replaceable with an array of through holes. My decision was more cost driven since it was my first build but they have worked well so far.

I have also seen a t-slot created by spacing strips of MDF in a way to create a t-slot without actually using a t-track. I can’t find the link but here’s a quick overview. The bottom layer has strips with gap spacing slightly larger than the flat to flat distance of the hex bolt to be used. Then the top layer has strips spaced slightly larger than the bolt thread diameter.

Good luck!

1 Like

What spacing would you recommend? I read in another thread that someone though 65mm were too far away. So maybe M8 holes at 50 mm?

Hmm, it’s been a while. :thinking: I believe I placed them on a 50mm grid and I used 1/4-20 hardware. But I can double check when I get home. This is my build for your reference.

I’m a cheap bastard. I used to have 3d printed knobs on the nuts, but now I just use my cheapo-almost-no-torque-harbor-freight drill on the lowest clutch setting (that was Tom’s idea, and a good one!)

1 Like

Has anyone used this clamping solution?

I’ll be using a 610x610mm usable work area, this gives me a 880x889mm table (outer dimensions of feet).

I’ll be using t-nuts.

How do I know where to place the first hole for clamping? Should it be from the center? Or from the outer edge?

For the clamps Marius did a great job; visit Ultimate cam lever clamps – Marius Hornberger and https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!ALHwF2VI-oqFCGw&id=14A364A74359F2F9!4359&cid=14A364A74359F2F9&parId=root&parQt=sharedby&o=OneUp
and the video, How to make the Ultimate Worktable Clamps - YouTube
I hope this can help your choice

Depends on what I’m doing. I have threaded inserts in my table with various clamps, both made and purchased. Some things get the old tape and glue. Some get screwed directly to spoilboard. Others get clamped down.

What thickness is your spoilboard?

3/4".

Ok. I was going for 12mm but 19mm sounds more solid.

What is the height of the threaded inserts that you are using?

I don’t remember off the top of my head, but they are countersunk into the table under the spoilboard. Had to pull them out and reinstalled them after I drilled straight through the table.
By drilling straight through, it gives the chips somwhere to go instead of packing in the threads. Think they were 1/2" long, but don’t quote me… lol. I’m using 1/4-20 bolts for clamping.
When I changed the spoilboard last year, simply laid the new one in place and used a pin punch up through each insert to mark the locations. Pulled the board off, drilled the holes, reinstalld and surfaced. Took about an hour.