Choice of two (2) PlasmaC (LinuxCNC) Post Processors for Fusion 360

Here are two I have found so far … both of which successfully produce code (which is as of yet untested as far as cutting):

1. PlasmaC (LinuxCNC) Post Processor for Fusion 360 dated March 2, 2020

• This one seems like it might be more advanced than the second one below.
  • It employs three different means for increasing cut quality on small circles. One of the three involves slowing the cut speed.
  • I tried it on posting (processing a job) it works (produces Gcode).
  • I don’t yet have my plasma cutter set up so I have not tested its cut functions yet.

2. Post Processor for LinuxCNC (Plasma) for Fusion 360 (from Autodesk Forum user “simonescheggi”) dated September 18, 2019

• I tried it on posting (processing a job) it works (produces Gcode).
  • I don’t yet have my plasma cutter set up so I have not tested its cut functions yet.
1 Like

Um, I somehow posted the same link for both of them (both links above lead to the same post processor). I did not realize my mistake until now, and it’s apparently too late to edit the original post. So here is the link to the other choice of post processor:

… but for the record, I think the first link (above, first post) is the one I’m using.

One my subscribers on YouTube just asked for tips on how to properly prep for plasma cutting. I thought I was paste here a copy of the answer I gave them:

I am using Fusion 360 for about half of my CAD (drawing) and 100% of my CAM for plasma (manufacturing, i.e. rendering GCode for the cut). The link below leads to my forum post that documents sourcing for two different plasma post processors for Fusion 360. In the post, the first one in the list is the one I’m using! The Fusion 360 basic steps, in order, are:

1. In Design mode: create and draw a 2D sketch,

2. In Design mode: click “Sheet Metal” and create/add a flange to your 2D sketch, with a sheet metal choice/type of “steel” (I have custom copies for correct thicknesses of 18 ga and 20 ga, etc),

3. Click into “Manufacturing” mode,

4. In “Manufacturing” mode: create a new Setup,

5. In “Manufacturing” mode: under “Cutting” create a 2D profile

6. In “Manufacturing” mode: under “Actions” click Generate (or tap the Generate GCode shortcut button above it, to choose the post processor and use it.

Note: if the rendered gcode gives errors related to “arc start and arc end are not the same” (or some such), redo above but uncheck “MergeCircles” in the “Post properties”

The above steps will process and produce a “.ngc” file (by default named 1001.ngc).

1 Like