Me too. Looking forward to seeing how you like it when you’re done.
I was looking at His website. Did you buy just the plans or did you also get the CNC dxf files? I’m just wondering if the plans have line drawings of all the pieces to the chair?
Me too. Looking forward to seeing how you like it when you’re done.
I was looking at His website. Did you buy just the plans or did you also get the CNC dxf files? I’m just wondering if the plans have line drawings of all the pieces to the chair?
I’m sorry, WHAT?!
I got both, but I think the plans have line drawings. I’ll check shortly and confirm. I’ve only inspected the dxf files and they look fine. I was able to import that file into EstlCam. Haven’t cut anything yet, but do that soon.
I’m trying to figure out what wood to use. He said they’ve tested with cedar, which is a fairly weak wood, and ran out of weights when they hit 1500# with no failure. But, redwood or white oak would be awesome too (if a bit expensive especially for 8/4 white oak! ). I do like the two color stain, but might not go to the trouble.
I’ll check the plans momentarily.
Edited:
The included plans are the usual line drawings on the 1” grid with critical dimensions. You can also get templates on heavy paper or even 1/2” baltic birch to use with your router. I think that each had some additional cost.
I made 2 Adirondack chairs 5 years ago, one out of ash and other out of cedar. the ash got a polyurethane spar treatment, the cedar just a coat of colored Rubio Monocoat. Both have spent all 5 winters outdoors on the sauna deck. The cedar is holding up nicely while the ash is definitely starting to succumb to the elements and will have to be refinished or retired in the next year or two.
I would not discount cedar, the low density will make the chairs much lighter and they have superior rot resistance. My ash chair is HEAVY. Made mine from 1x6” cedar boards, pretty economical too, just took too long to make anymore by hand. Oak would be very nice, but pricy and heavy.
I used Jackman’s template on standard chairs.
Thanks for the comment. Cedar and redwood are the easiest for me to get in 2X stock. You are convincing me that cedar is worth trying the first time.
I haven’t done anything with the LR4 in a couple months, have a lot of “must do” projects before I can go back to having fun with it… which is why I did lots of vehicle maintenance items! Saved a fortune doing it myself and the self confidence boost feels great
. Just watch ChrisFix on YouTube and you’ll be able to DIY all vehicle things!
Entire front suspension replacement on my accord:
^I tried to cheap out and use the nasty old rotors, but eventually…
^new rotors are coated on the interior so they resist rusting. Rust basically makes them grow and then they become unbalanced and can cause shaky wheel during braking. Now I need to do the rear end!
On my G1 Insight I installed 3D printed TPU motor mount braces, so my engine doesn’t wobble anymore! They don’t make new engine mounts anymore so a forum member (s/o insightcentral.net) drew these up and they work great:
Fixed the exhaust, the gasket at the joint was completely gone and the bolts were as rusty as the titanic, so I just broke them off and got it back together with stainless steel zipties.. saved me a whole day of drilling out shitty old bolts lol and if they fail, the exhaust is still fully supported on both halves, it’ll just go back to being loud af until I do it the right way.. so for now, it’s worth the gamble!
Still need to replace the radiator and do a coolant flush on the Insight, and the rear suspension and brakes of the Accord, and put my squat rack back together to turn the basement into a home gym, and probably other stuff I’m forgetting haha.
You replaced the strut, knuckle and the A arm and bushings?! That is commitment. Im down to duct tape and prayers for my 06 accord to get to 300k miles. It was shaking like polaroid so i got some rims off marketplace for it. 3 of the 4 were not round and then i caved on new tires. Wow what a difference! But im just going to drive it now. the v6 is nonintereference and really just a time bomb on the timing belt, but repairable, so im not doing that one unless it makes me. I did all the brakes last year about this time on it. Great car!
haha thank you!! It was my first time doing any suspension work.. I used Detroit Axle brand stuff from Amazon and it’s honestly high quality for a low price, and it ships from Detroit so there’s some local job support at least
. But the parts came with bushings installed, the whole knuckle was pre-assembled, it was all painted already, so it’s really just unbolting stuff and bolting new stuff back together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_g1-WHD4rw&t=798s
Still, it took me like 20 hours of hard work, getting up and back down on the ground, holding heavy shit perfectly in place while holding a heavy drill/wrench/hammer, all done horribly inefficiently because I was learning as I went lol. The first side took like 14 hours and the second side took about 6, and I bet the next time I do it, it’ll take like 2 hours. In the end, 110% worth it!! it’s literally a brand new car (at least the front end haha the rear suspension is shot) for like $6-800? if you don’t need new struts or brakes it’s like $180 for (front) control arms and tie rods! I can basically refresh the suspension on all 3 of our Hondas for like $2-4k in parts, I will absolutely never have a car payment again lol.
I got used rims off of FB for my Accord too! Mines a 2011 V6 coupe (AT), it hauls ass and still gets 30 mpg on the highway while being luxurious, love it! I got smaller rims (18” → 16”) to get a bigger sidewall to make for a quieter ride, it made a big difference in comfort, but it feels squishier in terms of handling. I kinda wanna go back to the 18’s and see how they are on an in-spec suspension, but they need new tires and I just bought the set for the 16’s so I can’t really justify it lol.
OMG! I love that Jonathan!!!
Thanks! Delivering 3 more tomorrow! You should sign up to be a maker and make some yourself! Its one of the most rewarding things I have ever done! 3d-mobility.org
So are you buying the filament or do they send it to you?
So far its all 100% paid for by me. They are working on kits and people will be able to donate to support the kits but that hasn’t been turned on yet. I have been paying about $10-11 per spool of PETG and TPU varies depending on the color and how long I am willing to wait for it lol. I also drive to the family and deliver it. Just got home a few min ago from a 600 mile round trip. But when you see this you forget all about the cost…
(pics shared with permission from the families)
Heck yeah! Keep making life better for as many as you can.
Today makes 9 delivered, and I have 2 underway here at home that will get assembled and delivered next time off. Going back to work for 28 days so I already know I will snag another one or 2. @CarmenJ does a real good job of keeping the print beds cleaned and the printers fed with filament for me when I am gone. Easy to just log in and start the next print!
Also… This is world wide. Not just US based!
Amazing!!!
I took a quick look and saw the 200 hour print time plus 4-6 hours of assembly. There seems to be a lot of flat planes. Do you feel like there’d be any opportunities to take some of the geometry, CNC it out of wood, and then add on 3D printed parts where necessary? Might not be as cheap but seems like it might speed up some of the print and assembly time.