Can't build it, but I can print it! Wait! Now I can!

Okay, a rant on saw guides. This shitty one from Home Depot should be avoided at all cost!

It creates bowed cuts. The ends are the right length, but the centers get shorter cause the aluminum is too narrow and unsupported. So you get gaps if you have to butt two boards together.

This one from Lowe’s clamps to the board, so it pulls itself into tension, and doesn’t bow. It’s also thicker so it doesn’t tend to bow by itself.

Table box is done though. Waiting for the glue to dry. Using gorrilla glue and 2" staples to hold it together.

2 Likes

Good tip, I have the first one, I need to take a look at the tension one.

It’d be cool if plywood was actually all the same thickness… The two pieces that make the top and bottom panels are about a 16th of an inch different thickness. Luckily it’s about to rain, so I sanded the crap out of it, then used the leaf blower to blow the garage out into the driveway. Wind and rain will get rid of all the dust. Need to go pick up some poly to coat everything so it doesn’t swell.

1 Like

Poly applied! Thing is freaking heavy!

4 Likes

Feels good knowing you are almost back in action!

Hey Barry,
Totally not on topic, but I saw your weather map and had to comment.
We were in your neck of the woods just a couple weeks ago. Took the RV to a park in Wildwood, went kayaking and snorkling in the Crystal River and took an airboat ride with “Wild Bill’s”.
Nice area. Was a fun trip.
We did a little scuba drift dive in the Crystal River a few years ago, too. What an amazing natural resource.
Table is looking good! I have a tension saw guide similar to yours and it works well.

1 Like

I need to rebuild my mpcnc to cut the side plates. Three fails in a row trying to print them. Think I have a funky roll of filament.

1 Like

Crap. Forgot I stole a keystone so I could wire Shaneh’s desktop at the apartment.

1 Like

It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this.
Keystone

1 Like

Now I just have to remember how to run this thing. And pick up some mdf for spoil boards.

1 Like

Yes I started print those and at half way to completion something went wrong so I used what did print as a template and used my trim router to cut them out and they turned out perfect! I guess you can say I turned the lemon into lemoniid!

1 Like

Nice to see someone in my neck of the woods. I used to live in spring hill. Now I’m in Odessa 30 minutes south, but work in Brooksville, and our other plant in plant city.

1 Like

Woo!

7 Likes

Oh

My

Goodness

It’s happening!

1 Like

Haha I am literally doing the same thing.
Nice work!!

1 Like

Yea, now I get to cut them with the right material thickness… Wasn’t thinking, this is 3/4" osb. That and figure out my binding issue at the far y side of the cnc. Twice now I’ve skipped a ton of steps.

1 Like

3/4" will work you just need to clearance it for the coupler.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Got that chic OSB look going on. Nice clearancing. Pretty excited for you to try it out.

1 Like

I honestly love the look of OSB with clear coat. I made my old boss a laptop stand (and shipped it to Pittsburgh). I used that look and he asked me if he should paint it :roll_eyes:.

1 Like